• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning Fuel Tank

TOMRR

Reaction score
The Tank on my 69RR is about 8 years old and I will be pulling it off. How is the best way to be sure inside is Clean ? I will be putting in my rebuilt 440 and want to be sure of the Tank.

Thanks Tom C.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Cleaned mine with a wire brush on the end of a piece of electrical fish tape. Ho it was a bottle brush type wire brush and welded it to the fish tape. Had to watch for the vent line in the tank. Some one had put that gas tank sealer in it and it came out like snake skin. Ran the brush on low speed with drill and a lot of elbow grease. Of course my tank is shot. Held enough gas to get her in the shop.

dmartin

Reaction score
You could always use the old Acme flashlight ( a cig lighter) lol

halftrackman1

Reaction score
I don,t clean tanks anymore, I buy new ones, the price on new tanks have gone down. They have them in stainless steel and the sending unit. :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I recently cleaned and sealed the tank on one of my Dusters. That sh*tty ethanol-laden gas that they shove on us had done quite a number on a fairly new tank. I used the POR 15 kit to clean it and reseal it. I also quit putting any ethanol whatsoever into the tank...:soapbox:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/poi-49239

halftrackman1

Reaction score
Russ, go to search, type in , stainless steel gas tanks 1969 Plymouth roadrunner

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The Tank on my 69RR is about 8 years old and I will be pulling it off. How is the best way to be sure inside is Clean ? I will be putting in my rebuilt 440 and want to be sure of the Tank.

Thanks Tom C.
Why do you think it's dirty? It usually take many years of old gas sitting in it to gum it up.

I'd just shine a flash light through the sender opening... Well, no, that's a lie.... I would pump out the old gas (if any) and put in fresh gas and run it.. I sure wouldn't pull the tank, let alone replace it.

The inside of my original 1970 Chrysler tank.

vtGc1UM.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yea I will go through that search halftrackman1. Found some in classic industries price not to bad for the stainless steel ones. I keep adding up all the thing's I still need and have a lot to spend. But getting ready for paint and it is not cheap ether. Look's like a grand or so. The only thing the labor is free.

Back