• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning RWL tyres

Steve

Reaction score
The RWLs on my Coopers are getting dull and discoloured,does anyone know what to use to get them clean again as regular soap/detergent doesn't do the job.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
generaljmwlee said:
wesleys white wall cleaner and a scrub brush worked for me

Yep, Wesley's Blech-White is the best.

mcmopar

Reaction score
X2 :thumbsup:
If you can't find it you can use something like Formula 409 or similar type cleaner.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I can remember my Dad using a wire brush to clean the double stripe white walls on the family chrysler. I've had good luck with an SOS pad.

droptop

Reaction score
SOS pad is the best, and the cheapest. 1 pad will do all 4 tires, and toss it in the trash when done. If you use Westley's Bleach White, you better use some sort of tire dressing afterward. It will dry out the rubber, and cause dry rot cracks. :yesnod:

mcmopar

Reaction score
droptop said:
SOS pad is the best, and the cheapest. 1 pad will do all 4 tires, and toss it in the trash when done. If you use Westley's Bleach White, you better use some sort of tire dressing afterward. It will dry out the rubber, and cause dry rot cracks. :yesnod:

The only problem I had with SOS pads is that sometimes they can damage the letter if used too aggressively. With Bleche White you need a good stiff nylon bristle brush. And yes, a good tire treatment is a must after using Bleche White because it will remove any residue of a previous treatment. I usually use another type of cleaner (Simple Green, Formula 409, etc) to clean the tire first and then finish with the Bleche White on the letters only. Also be sure to pre-rinse and rinse steel, chrome and aluminum wheels liberally after cleaning because if you leave Bleche White on too long it will mar the finish, especially on aluminum wheels.

Steve

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.I'll give the SOS pad or Brillo pad as they're called over here a try first.Never thought about them before. :thumbsup:

Back