• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clunking noise at idle from rear of car?

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
While I'm sorting the car out, I found a new problem.

There is an intermittent clunking from the rear of the car.

Sitting at idle it clunks real loud. I first thought it was the trans but I narrowed it down to the right rear area. I pulled off the gas cap to see if the tank might have a clogged vent, no luck.

Sounds kinda hollow, like you are pecking on a drum. :huh:

Could it be a "mini" back fire in the right side exhaust? No crossover pipe. I don't think so but this is a new one on me.

15 or so B or E body's and I have NEVER heard anything like this.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Start it up, lay down on the ground where you think it's coming from and listen. Off the top of my head I can't imagine a clunking from the rear on a car not moving. For me, any clunking in that location has been either suspension or exhaust...

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Are your exhaust pipes tight? I had a car where the pipes were either a bit loose or just not in the right position and would bang on the frame somewhere.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
It does put me in mind of a bad rear end but it isn't moving so...

I've been laying all around and I can't pinpoint it yet.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
I've been laying all around and I can't pinpoint it yet.

Sounds like me, I'll spend the day listening in the rear, meanwhile the noise is coming from the radiator, LOL :lol:

The noise disappears when you're driving?

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I found a clamp loose so I thought I was all good. Took it out and returned. Didn't hear a thing while driving, got back home and the RR sounded like a popcorn popper :brickwall:

I took a 2x4 and pushed on stuff, turns out it i the right muffler, must have a baffle busted inside.

Looks like I won't be getting just tips at the exhaust shop. :toetap:

moparstuart

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
I found a clamp loose so I thought I was all good. Took it out and returned. Didn't hear a thing while driving, got back home and the RR sounded like a popcorn popper :brickwall:

I took a 2x4 and pushed on stuff, turns out it i the right muffler, must have a baffle busted inside.

Looks like I won't be getting just tips at the exhaust shop. :toetap:

I had that on the birdible (dam brand new muffler also) drove it a while and it heated up enought to get it relogged good , now its fine

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Guess I'll have to see. It looks like brand new, although it has been on the car for over 5 years, maybe a lot longer.

Since I'm going in for the X and tips, might as well end the problem. But if it fies itself, that is cool. :drive:

moparstuart

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Guess I'll have to see. It looks like brand new, although it has been on the car for over 5 years, maybe a lot longer.

Since I'm going in for the X and tips, might as well end the problem. But if it fies itself, that is cool. :drive:
yeah mine may come back but for now it's quiet

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The possibility of a busted baffle INSIDE the muffler is very intruiging...I've been chasing a similar condition in Tam's Swinger for more than a year now...been under there countless times and never found anything... This might be it! Kind of embarrassing to be sitting in a car that nice at a traffic light and it sounds like someone is ringing a hollow-sounding dinner bell under the car... Thanks for offering yet another possiblity guys!

:jester:

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
The possibility of a busted baffle INSIDE the muffler is very intruiging...I've been chasing a similar condition in Tam's Swinger for more than a year now...been under there countless times and never found anything... This might be it! Kind of embarrassing to be sitting in a car that nice at a traffic light and it sounds like someone is ringing a hollow-sounding dinner bell under the car... Thanks for offering yet another possiblity guys!

:jester:
mine was a loud vibrating humming sound . I thought my exhaust was moving around or my jack base or something was rattleing in the trunk LOL

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I've had baffles break and rattle around too.

Back