• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch problems

jays69bird

Reaction score
Okay I rebuilt the torque shaft (Z bar) with a year one kit.The clutch was working except the pedal wouldn't return to its stop causing me to have to pull it back with my toe.I rebuilt the shaft becauing the bushings were shot.Now the minute the clutch is pushed the overcenter spring takes it down and stays there.I set my free play went to the manual which basically states to adj 5/32 at clutch rod to get 1" free play at pedal.I thoght maybe the year one spring was to wimpy so I went and got a stronger spring,still does it I got a long heavy univesal spring ran it from the torque shaft to the steering box area still won't return.I thought the shaft may be binding loosened up the torque shaft worked the clutch still does it.I blew up and a stream of nasty cuss words came out of my mouth so I figured it was break time now I'd like to go for a drive tomarrow being its my birthday,but iam at wits end.Any help ideas would be wonderful.

mcmopar

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. When I had the Hayes clutch in my car (Borg and Beck style pressure plate) the clutch adjusting rod wasn't long enough to get proper freeplay so I had to always back the pedal off with the tip of my left toe. When I installed the RAM clutch (diaphram style pressure plate) it solved the problem because the diaphram style pressure plate is not as thick as the Borg and Beck style.

jays69bird

Reaction score
I don't have a clue which clutch is in it,after I posted I went out removed torque shaft,cleaned up the slotted hole by the drivers side wheel.I reset the shaft,I took the rod off from the clutch pedal and worked the torque shaft by hand it seemed to return all right,I bent the rod from the pedal to get a smooth transition from the pedal to the rod,same thing I push the pedal the over center spring takes it down like nothing is attached at all and stays there,I got under the car and tried to push the torque shaft back forward but I can't over power the overcanter spring I have to reach in the car and pull the pedal back up. I would live with the toe pulling the clutch bit now at least I could drive the car,I was thinking about pulling the overcenter spring off .

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
jays69bird said:
I don't have a clue which clutch is in it,after I posted I went out removed torque shaft,cleaned up the slotted hole by the drivers side wheel.I reset the shaft,I took the rod off from the clutch pedal and worked the torque shaft by hand it seemed to return all right,I bent the rod from the pedal to get a smooth transition from the pedal to the rod,same thing I push the pedal the over center spring takes it down like nothing is attached at all and stays there,I got under the car and tried to push the torque shaft back forward but I can't over power the overcanter spring I have to reach in the car and pull the pedal back up. I would live with the toe pulling the clutch bit now at least I could drive the car,I was thinking about pulling the overcenter spring off .

If by chance it has a Centerforce diaphragm pressure plate, then (per Brewer's) you are definitley supposed to remove the over-center spring...but since you've stated that you're not sure then I don't know if this tidbit of info is helpful without the PP ID... Can you drop the inspection plate and squeeze your fingers into the finger area of the PP to ascertain if it has three large fingers or multiple small ones...?

Ray

jays69bird

Reaction score
Iam going out for a late breakfast right now my girls are taking me for my birthday.maybe later I'll throw on some work clothes the car is on ramps I'll pop the inspection cover,one thing I noticed the old adjusting rod the nuts were further down were they would have been pushing in the clutch fork,I have the nut backed off on the new one the fork is all the way forward.The old adustment rod was also alot longer then then new one I got in the kit.I should have gotten the rebuild kit from Brewers then I could have called him for help ,I bought a rebuilt shifter and linkage from him, he was good when I called him on the phone with some questions.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The reason for removing the overcenter spring on diaphram plates is they will hyperextend, I made that up. They will go past there ability to return with the overcenter if pushed to far. You can leave the spring in for a softer pedal but you might have to add a block or stop to the pedal so you don't "hyperextend" the plate. Now I have heard with a centerforce the spring has to go. I put a Mcleod street strip diaphram in mine with the spring and the pedal feels great, but I havent fired it up yet. :popcorn:

jays69bird

Reaction score
I'll know more when I pull the inspec. cover,what was a simple afternoon job has turned into a nightmare,I never had any problems with the clutch but since the car has the 18 spline gearbox its been changed,I've had the car for 24 years now when I bought it I was still in H.S. so I beat the snot out of it,but since then I have drove it sparingly.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Its the borg style (adjustment is futile) sorry a little star trek humor,I got the year one adjuster out to the end of its travel,sure enough the dreaded pull the clutch pedal back with the toe,I added a spring to the torque shaft to pull the clutch up,it works somwhat,when I pull the tranny I'll have to put the diaphram style in. Thanks for your help.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
When I had one that wouldn't return, I found that the adjustment was not allowing things to return. I can't recall which ay I went to make it work but there was a spot in thew adjustment that suddenly changed how it was returning in a major way.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
jays69bird said:

If by chance it has a Centerforce diaphragm pressure plate, then (per Brewer's) you are definitley supposed to remove the over-center spring...but since you've stated that you're not sure then I don't know if this tidbit of info is helpful without the PP ID... Can you drop the inspection plate and squeeze your fingers into the finger area of the PP to ascertain if it has three large fingers or multiple small ones...?

Ray
So what would this tell us. I'm curious because I would have to pull mine up with my toe and it has 3 fingers. :popcorn:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
[quote="ACME A12":1z2l966j]
jays69bird said:

Ray
So what would this tell us. I'm curious because I would have to pull mine up with my toe and it has 3 fingers. :popcorn:[/quote:1z2l966j]
You got toes whats the problem :lol:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
What if I'm in a horrific accident and or maybe somebody slams the trunk lid on my toes and cuts them off? :lol: Those would be hard to find in the swamp.

Back