• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

clutch size info

Ed Ferguson

Reaction score
Ok need some help here. I have a 70 RR/ 383? and a A833 18 spline and a 11in. clutch. To the best of my knowledge this setup is for a 440 or 426. The reason for the question is I am having a hard time finding a reasonable priced clutch kit. The info i have found is that a 383 came with a 23 spline transmission. So now I am a bit confused.

P.S I was told the car had another 383 installed at some point and am now questioning whether its a 383? The motor is off for refresh so I don't have the number off the block.

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
That's not uncommon, I ran an 18 spline/ hemi 4 speed, behind my 383

quikbird

Reaction score
383 is a big block as are both the 440 and426. So the 18 spline which would have come with the hemi will fit. The only change is the spline count on the input shaft and the clutch disc. DO NOT G O CHEAP. This is the part of the driveline trying to move a 3800 lb car and do so without breaking your leg with the spring pressure needed to hook up the clutch. I use a twin disc from McCleod to keep the leg pressure easier

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
Looks to be a 383 , and I agree with quikbird, don't go cheap, I fixing to replace mine too, bought a diaphragm style this go around, hope I dont regret it, I've always ran borg&beck style

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
If you go with McCleod, get from a Summit or Jegs. If you buy direct, they are very slow and attach a HUGE shipping/handling charge. This is first hand knowledge...I had to talk with them for a custom clutch setup for my build. It took a month or so to get it and was over $125 S/H for 2 boxes. I was quite upset at that.

HD539

Reaction score
I recently put a McLeod’s kit from Brewers on my Hemi car. 18 spline, 11” clutch. The kit covered everything including a throw out bearing and bushing.

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
McLeod is what I went with ,, any feedback on the different types of pressure plates?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If you know it is 11" and 18 spline that is all the info you need and the diaphragm style will give you a softer pedal. Don't get the 69 hemi set up it is 10.95 inch with a different bolt pattern

cosgig

Reaction score
The simple answer is to count the number of teeth on the flywheel. That will tell you what clutch the system is supposed to have. The 130 tooth is most commonly found with the aluminum bellhousing and runs the 10.950” clutch. The 143 tooth flywheel is usually found in the cast iron bellhousing and runs the 11” clutch. This info is directly related from Wayne Brewer, over at Brewers.

Back