• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clylinder Block Temp

RR383

Reaction score
Gentlemen...Where on the 383 did they sense temperature in the cylinder block for the factory gauge? BTW, all my gauges are working except the temp. thanks

Ranger

Reaction score
It's on the front of the WP housing, just below the heater hose.

RR383

Reaction score
I'll take a look to see whats going on...thanks again

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
When you find the wire and you want to check the gauge, put a 10 ohm resistor between the the wire and a good ground. You gauge should read "hot". If it doesn't read, it's the wiring or the gauge. If it reads "Hot", then it's the sender.

BTW, since your gas gauge works, you can also rule out the 5 volt regulator under the dash as faulty.

RR383

Reaction score
Hey John...I finally got around to testing my stock temp gauge using the 10 ohm resistor as you instructed. Zero results. For the record...the sender appears it has been replaced in the not so distant past. The brass still has a shine. I took some ohm readings to check for continuity between wire boot and ground....then the sender to ground....but nothing definitive.
Soooooooo............next move?????????

Big John

Reaction score
It might be the gauge. I would start looking at the wiring to the gauge first by tracing the wire up to the firewall plug and then up to the dash.

I never messed with the 70 "rallye" dash, so I'm shooting a little bit in the dark here, but does anyone know if that has a printed circuit board on the back like a 69?? If so, that is a possible culprit.

RR383

Reaction score
It would more than likely have a board to convert the signal...correct?

Big John

Reaction score
It would more than likely have a board to convert the signal...correct?

No, the board is just a convenient way of wiring the lamps and gauges. No real "electronics". I don't know if a 70 has this board or not.

The runs on the board tend to have some issues over the years. The reason I mention this is you've mentioned a problem with your clock too.

RR383

Reaction score
Looks like I'll need to familiarize myself with backside of a '70 rallye dash. Again, everything else in the dash except the clock is working as it should.

Big John

Reaction score
See those pins? There's a plug that goes on them. I'd reach up behind the dash and make sure that's pushed all the way on.

Back