• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coil over rear shocks??

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with these?

I saw this 69 video on YouTube and the noticed them while up on the lift (forward to 4:08)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evj8B0ooV2U

I'm currently running G70 Redlines all around for show, but have a set of well worn 29x12.5 MT Sportsman Pros for when I wanna have some fun :cool:

With brand new factory replacement leafs, they fit perfectly without rubbing, but I know when I step up to MT DR's with a slightly wider tread width, I might have some rubbing :upset:

Looking to gain an extra 3/4"-1" in the rear end without having to add leafs or re-curve (I'm lazy)

I know the shock mounts aren't exactly meant for load, but for sumthin this minor, I think I'll be ok :confused:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
with having to reassemble the upper shock cross member during the resto, I would not recommend doing this. there were air shocks installed in my car when purchased and they destroyed the cross member. it was plainly not engineered to support that kind of load. my two cents.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Years ago I used them on a 67 Barracuda and I got the lift I wanted but I ended up with wheel hop, then I added traction bars cause it was to high for a snubber. After restoring one of the cars and seeing the lack of support on the upper shock mount I wouldn't do it again.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Don't do it.

I bought a real nice 69 Dart once that had the rear shock mounts torn out from coil over shocks. Do it right.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Like Mac, on my first '69 Road Runner that I owned in the early 70's had air shocks on it and they also broke the upper shock mount. And instead of fixing it the right way the clown that I bought it from just drilled holes through the cross mount and into the trunk floor and bolted the two together which just tore the floor apart.

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with these?

I saw this 69 video on YouTube and the noticed them while up on the lift (forward to 4:08)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evj8B0ooV2U

I'm currently running G70 Redlines all around for show, but have a set of well worn 29x12.5 MT Sportsman Pros for when I wanna have some fun :cool:

With brand new factory replacement leafs, they fit perfectly without rubbing, but I know when I step up to MT DR's with a slightly wider tread width, I might have some rubbing :upset:

Looking to gain an extra 3/4"-1" in the rear end without having to add leafs or re-curve (I'm lazy)

I know the shock mounts aren't exactly meant for load, but for sumthin this minor, I think I'll be ok :confused:
98snakeater those specific shocks were like a "load leveler shock" helper type, not a real "coil over" by any means, they are typically used with cars with a tow package back in the day, the leaf spring will still carry the bulk of the load, the spring on those type shocks in that specific video are just a helper spring/load leveler not a true coil over that supports the whole rear of the cars weight, if you do use a real "coil over type shock", to carry the weight of the rear of the car, then reinforce the cross-member with a piece of DOM 1-5/8" tubing with mounts in it bolted into or welded between the frame rails...

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
98snakeater those specific shocks were like a "load leveler shock" helper type, not a real "coil over" by any means, they are typically used with cars with a tow package back in the day, the leaf spring will still carry the bulk of the load, the spring on those type shocks in that specific video are just a helper spring/load leveler not a true coil over that supports the whole rear of the cars weight, if you do use a real "coil over type shock", to carry the weight of the rear of the car, then reinforce the cross-member with a piece of DOM 1-5/8" tubing with mounts in it bolted into or welded between the frame rails...

Not looking to add real coil overs (I have QA1's on other cars), just want a little extra clearance for my new DR's

As she sits, there's no rubbing with the factory replacement leafs and 29x12.5x15 MT Sportsman Pros, however, the new 295/65/15's may rub as they have a slightly wider tread width.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcenVVInpms

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
98snakeater the car looks like it launches pretty good now, in that video anyway... as you probably already know, you can fit quite a bit of tire under these RR's, especially with the right rim & offset spacing... usually will rub up at the top of outer side of the inner wheel well, where it tappers in with a tall/wide tire, I know a few guys who've done the bottle jack trick inside the wheel wells to alleviate a few of the minor rubbing issues up there... can always trim the lip a little {or roll it under too} offset spring hangers if it's rubbing on the inside by the springs, or add a thin spacer if you have enough room still on the outside edge.... maybe make or buy a custom front spring mount & shim the housing for proper pinion angles or add longer rear shackles, just don't use the cheesy 70's style good luck the car looks & sounds great...

MRE Leaf Spring Sliders.jpg

MRE 22 inch $67.95 Rear Spring Front Hanger Brackets.jpg

Competition Engineering 2 degree wedge plates c7025_part.jpg

MRE B-Body 0.80 in. offset shackle sets-kits MRE076078 $239.95.jpg

MRE B-Body 0.80 in. offset shackle sets MOPP4120076 $120.95.jpg

Last edited:

jays69bird

Reaction score
Mine had air shocks when I bought it, I removed them after my brother told me about his first road runner he bought when 16,it had air shocks that some one had welded in a brace,because they destroyed the cross member.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
most of the B Bodies I've had over the last 30 years had air shocks, and none had the crossmember damage.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
most of the B Bodies I've had over the last 30 years had air shocks, and none had the crossmember damage.

My first Road Runner that I bought in '72 had air shocks and the cross member was broke on one side. To fix it the guy had bolted the cross member to the trunk floor which in turn tore that up!

Back