• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collins Ride

Collin

Reaction score
Well what do you think of the huge garage that I work in?? HA!

Managed to steal a garage space from my mother, so dealing with the mess in there...just enough room to work inside, or roll the car out in the driveway and work. :thumbsup:

(Yes i am 23 and live with my parents, how do you think I have the money to restore a mopar!! The loss of sanity from being here will be repayed when this car is done!)

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Like the rest of us Collin, you have to start somewhere. Looks like you have quite a project there. Take your time and do it right, and it will give you less problems down the road. Don't feel bad, I have a 2 bay garage but it really isn't much bigger and I can't do any big projects in there. The important thing is you have a place to protect it from the elements. Hope you can make it up to the Mopar cruise in at the Burger King in Newington sometime.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice pics Collin! Good looking ride. Don't worry - you'll have a mortgage and be miserable like the rest of us soon enough...Don't rush it... :lol:

Steve - I see you still haven't adjusted the trunk lid on the RR to close up that gap... :lmao:

:jester:
ACME

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
your lucky you have a garage to work in....i used to lay out in the snow bank and change motors with a trypod when i was your age

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Funny thing... I have a 23 year old son that has a bigger garage then I do..

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that looks like a great project Collin! Got any interior pics? Be glad you have a garage to work in. I didn't have one untill a few years ago. Not bad working under th big tree I had. Nice cherry picker(come a long from a branch) not even bad in the rain untill it rained hard. But realy cold in the winter.......

mcmopar

Reaction score
Looking good, Collin. Its a lot of work, yes - but if you do it a bit at a time you'll be done before you know it. Keep at it because that car is well worth the effort! :beep:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Nice pics Collin! Good looking ride. Don't worry - you'll have a mortgage and be miserable like the rest of us soon enough...Don't rush it... :lol:

Steve - I see you still haven't adjusted the trunk lid on the RR to close up that gap... :lmao:

ACME
Ray, when I get a chance I'll get a new pic with the trunk closed, just for you! :jester:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
your lucky you have a garage to work in....i used to lay out in the snow bank and change motors with a trypod when i was your age
George, if it makes you feel better I changed a timing belt on a Tourismo I had with a foot of snow around the car and with the temps around 20.

moparstuart

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
george68hemirr said:
George, if it makes you feel better I changed a timing belt on a Tourismo I had with a foot of snow around the car and with the temps around 20.

mine

Big John

Reaction score
Shoot... I can remember changing an alternator on my 2.2 Charger (like a Turismo) and it was so cold out, I had a salamander heater blowing directly on that part of the car outdoors just to try to keep me from freezing.

That said... While Syracuse is the snowiest major city in the US, we only get a fraction of the snow Jay gets in Oswego!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tourismos...wrong-wheel-drive Chargers...you guys are a bunch of middle-aged ricers... :D

Hopefully it wasn't too cold while you were out there bolting on your chromed Folgers exhaust tips... :lmao:

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Tourismos...wrong-wheel-drive Chargers...you guys are a bunch of middle-aged ricers... :D

Hopefully it wasn't too cold while you were out there bolting on your chromed Folgers exhaust tips... :lmao:

That was about 1993... I bought the Charger for $300 and drove it for two years. I bought a MP cam and computer a friend had sitting around for next to nothing and some blemished tires that were on sale. I think I had less then $400 in it all together.... That was one of the most fun cars I ever owned. It handled real well and was very quick and nimble. Easy to work on and cheap to maintain.

The car rotted out from under me though... I was driving home one night and had to detour across Syracuse through some old neighborhoods. Suddenly a puppy ran out in front of me followed by 4 or 5 kids. I wasn't going that fast, but it was 2 in the morning so I wasn't going that slow either.... I swerved to avoid the kids, figuring on sacrificing the dog and pounded the brakes as I slid off the street into a construction area.

I stalled the car... something I really didn't want to do in that neighborhood... and it wouldn't restart, the starter would not turn over. Everything lit up, but it wouldn't turn. The kids' Dad was out there by now and was thanking me all over the place for not hitting his kids. As it turned out, the pup managed to get out of the way, so the kids were happy too. But... the car still wouldn't start... So they pushed me back up on the street and then pushed to get it started and I drove off.

The next day I figured out what happened... The rod that went from the key switch down the column to the starter switch up by the clutch pedal had fallen out.... I tried to put it back, but it now was about a 1/2 inch too short. As it turned out, I had pushed the firewall forward when I pounded the brakes. The firewall was just rusty enough to be weakened.

I rebent the rod so it was longer and drove the car another couple weeks then sold it to a friend who let his kids use it as a lot car. It went a whole summer before it died.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I had my Tourismo for 11 yrs, and put 130,000 miles on it. Overall it was a good, reliable car for me. It didn't cost me too much over the years. Just the regular maintenence until the wear and tear stuff took over. The timing belt was one thing, replaced the exhaust system 3 or 4 times, and I even had a few extra of the clips Chrysler made available to hold the manual shift linkage joints together. I seem to remember that the gas mileage was around the mid 20s and on one trip I got close to 40mpg. Why can't they build cars with that kind of mileage now?

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
george68hemirr said:

i feel better now that you said this :lol:

when i built my garage with the slab down i rolled around on my creeper....i thought i was in heaven......now all i need is a lift and that would be great

Back