• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering buying another Muscle Car and may have to.....

railrider

Reaction score
I know this sounds silly but I am thinking about selling off my bicycles and buying a "DONE" Mopar of some kind. Many of my bicycles are $1200-$2500 range and still have around 20 of them. I sold 2 last night for $4000. Also sold our 2004 Ford Explorer so the money could be there pretty quick. Have a couple bites on selling my entire collection at one time. Hard to do, have been collecting a while.

Since I already have a RR I am building I am considering a 1970 Bee if I can find something decent for $25,000 and below once I get the cash.

Have any of you ever sold off a collection of stuff to buy a Muscle Car?

bikeroom3.jpg

A31PKG

Reaction score
Re: Considering buying another Muscle Car and may have to...

Cool! I didn't know you were into bicycles, I thought it was motorcycles...what do I know! :loco: I had a purple (cheaper) version of the "Orange Crate" (I think that's what it was called). It had a small front tire with front suspension, and springs on the rear sissy bar where it mounted to the frame. Instead of gears. it had a stick shift rear brake. It was 1968 or 69 when I got it. I think my mom may have a pic of me on it, I'll check next time I see her. I'd love to have that thing again! Curious, what are they worth nowadays??

dobie

Reaction score

Well, 4 weeks ago I sold 5 firearms for $1500. The money was put toward my body/paint work.

droptop

Reaction score

That is a cool collection of bikes that you have there. Maybe you could keep 2 or 3 of your favorites and still have the funds to by another Mopar. I think that decision has to be made entirely by you. It is a matter of what will make you the happiest. :cents:

chapdog105

Reaction score

railrider said:
I know this sounds silly but I am thinking about selling off my bicycles and buying a "DONE" Mopar of some kind. Many of my bicycles are $1200-$2500 range and still have around 20 of them. I sold 2 last night for $4000. Also sold our 2004 Ford Explorer so the money could be there pretty quick. Have a couple bites on selling my entire collection at one time. Hard to do, have been collecting a while.

Since I already have a RR I am building I am considering a 1970 Bee if I can find something decent for $25,000 and below once I get the cash.

Have any of you ever sold off a collection of stuff to buy a Muscle Car?

I have to sell 2 of my motorcycles to pay for my body and paint. The only dirtbikes I'm keeping are my kids bikes.
I even used part of my student loan from my master's degree to buy some things for my rr last year too. Whatever it takes to finish the goal/dream of having my car done.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

I had to laugh when I saw the picture, my neighbor got so wrapped up in stingrays a couple years ago that he sold a muscle car project to fund it. He got into the kickbacks near the end before he quit and now he is talking about selling.

moparchris

Reaction score

Killer collection. Bikes sure are easier to store! I have been on a selling kick lately myself. Good luck 70 Bees are a great choice!

railrider

Reaction score

A31PKG said:
Cool! I didn't know you were into bicycles, I thought it was motorcycles...what do I know! :loco: I had a purple (cheaper) version of the "Orange Crate" (I think that's what it was called). It had a small front tire with front suspension, and springs on the rear sissy bar where it mounted to the frame. Instead of gears. it had a stick shift rear brake. It was 1968 or 69 when I got it. I think my mom may have a pic of me on it, I'll check next time I see her. I'd love to have that thing again! Curious, what are they worth nowadays??

Sounds like you had a Non-Schwinn model such as Sears, Murray or Huffy. A Picture would be awesome! Schwinn never used the Drag Brake they did have a 3 or 5 speed shifter. The Schwinn bicycles were so well built nearly every one has survived. Although they are popular and have great name recognition the true rare bikes are the bikes that went through 2-3 kids and never survived. Those are the bikes that make me excited these days.

Muscle Bikes are from 1963-1973 same as the cars basically. They had slicks, large shifters and all the makings a Muscle Car had but in a downsized version. Kids new who Big daddy and Don Prudhomme were back then. They wanted to be like them or Big Brother with the Road Runner.

railrider

Reaction score

Everyone else my age wants a Charger because of the Dukes of Hazzard. Not me! lol :stuckup:

iverson 2 (4).jpg

iverson 1 (6).jpg

railrider

Reaction score

69hemibeep said:
I had to laugh when I saw the picture, my neighbor got so wrapped up in stingrays a couple years ago that he sold a muscle car project to fund it. He got into the kickbacks near the end before he quit and now he is talking about selling.

When I started bikes in the 90's I only had a few around. As the Mopars got too expensive for me I sold off many of the projects and parts i had and got more into bikes. We also had a move about 4-5 years ago when we bought another house. When we moved I lost my 30 x 50 Pole barn and downsized to a 24 x 30 so something had to go, and I chose cars. Now I have a small 30 x 32 for doing car stuff in and may knock out the back and add another 24 soon. Hard to balance two hobbies like this.

Maybe when I hit the big lottery I will have all the money to have all the toys. Of course I have never bought a lottery ticket in my life. Always afraid the Occupiers will come by dish out some Social Justice on me! lol :rimshot:

A31PKG

Reaction score

Wow, they did buy it at Sears! I remember looking at it in the catalog. I really wanted the Orange Crate. As I recall, the Orange Crate came with a 5 speed (I think), drum style front brakes, small front wheel with the spring (like mine had), raised white letter tires, and a few other doo-dads. Unfortunately, it was priced kinda high. I don't remember exactly, but I think around 100 bucks - which was large money for a bicycle in 1968! The alternative was a cheaper version, which is what I ended up with. It was purple, had a red-wall slick on the back, and the other stuff I mentioned in my last post. I think the small front tire was a red-stripe too, and I'm pretty sure it had chrome fenders... Oh the memories!

BTW, my first MOPAR musclecar was a 70 'Bee.... Arguably the best looking muscle b-body ever made IMO.

railrider

Reaction score

A31PKG said:
Wow, they did buy it at Sears! I remember looking at it in the catalog. I really wanted the Orange Crate. As I recall, the Orange Crate came with a 5 speed (I think), drum style front brakes, small front wheel with the spring (like mine had), raised white letter tires, and a few other doo-dads. Unfortunately, it was priced kinda high. I don't remember exactly, but I think around 100 bucks - which was large money for a bicycle in 1968! The alternative was a cheaper version, which is what I ended up with. It was purple, had a red-wall slick on the back, and the other stuff I mentioned in my last post. I think the small front tire was a red-stripe too, and I'm pretty sure it had chrome fenders... Oh the memories!

BTW, my first MOPAR musclecar was a 70 'Bee.... Arguably the best looking muscle b-body ever made IMO.

MOPARS are some of the most aggressive looking cars. They almost scare you when you see them in your review mirror speeding up on you! The 70 Bee was one wild design, you either love it or hate it. I always think of Vanishing Point where the 2 cop cars come over the hill together and the way they looked. Going really fast and just hugging the road like they were slot cars! Awesome!

railrider

Reaction score

A31PKG said:

Yeah in 1968 when the Krate series started they were around $100 + now they are $1000 +

The Sears bikes were half the price and looked the same. Most were built well and used many of the same parts but unfortunately were assembled by Dad (AKA Santa) on Christmas Eve. Schwinn had Bike Techs who were trained to assemble bikes and it makes a difference.

screamerad1.jpg

A31PKG

Reaction score

That's the one! I'll have to get mom to dig up the pic of me riding it....

In the meantime.... My 70 'Bee...circa 1980-ish...

Craig\'s \'70 Super Bee.jpg

superbee 2.jpg

Roadcuda

Reaction score

That's an interesting collection of bikes you have there. It wouldn't be worth it to sell off some of my trains as I wouldn't get enough to buy a car, maybe a part or two! :lol: I agree with Harold, only you can decide if you'll be happy giving up that collection or not to get the car. I also agree that if you do sell it, keep a few of your favorites around, 'cause you never really can get completely out of a hobby that you've been in for a long time.

moparchris

Reaction score

A31PKG said:

Thats hot!! I love 70 Super Bees. When i was a kid there was a 70 R/T at the local grocerie store. One of the box boys owned it. It was a dark green 440 4 barrell car. I have vivid memories of pedaling my GT wanna be bike down after he got off work so I could watch the smoke roll off the quarters when he left. That was in the mid eighties, but feels like yesterday.

railrider

Reaction score

moparchris said:
A31PKG said:

Thats hot!! I love 70 Super Bees. When i was a kid there was a 70 R/T at the local grocerie store. One of the box boys owned it. It was a dark green 440 4 barrell car. I have vivid memories of pedaling my GT wanna be bike down after he got off work so I could watch the smoke roll off the quarters when he left. That was in the mid eighties, but feels like yesterday.

You must be around my age then cause I was a teen in the 80's and rode the BMX stuff back then. Of course when I was a little kid we had Banana seat bikes, and they made a lasting impression on me!

railrider

Reaction score

Roadcuda said:
That's an interesting collection of bikes you have there. It wouldn't be worth it to sell off some of my trains as I wouldn't get enough to buy a car, maybe a part or two! :lol: I agree with Harold, only you can decide if you'll be happy giving up that collection or not to get the car. I also agree that if you do sell it, keep a few of your favorites around, 'cause you never really can get completely out of a hobby that you've been in for a long time.

Yeah its true, and I also run several Bicycle sites so can't bail out completely. I am down to 10 keepers right now. lol That leaves 15 or so to sell.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

railrider said:
Everyone else my age wants a Charger because of the Dukes of Hazzard.

Where is the "Collective Groan" smilie when you need it...? :lol:

'70 Bees are love 'em or hate 'em. I think they rock. Had a black & gold V code back in the early eighties. Originally Plum Crazy. Shoulda kept that one... :brickwall:

railrider

Reaction score

ACME A12 said:
railrider said:
Everyone else my age wants a Charger because of the Dukes of Hazzard.

Where is the "Collective Groan" smilie when you need it...? :lol: :

Its funny cause me and the wife have a little inside joke about Chargers. In my area there are only a handful of Mopar fans. The rest just know that whether its a 68-70 Road Runner, Super Bee or Charger that they all look like a General Lee Charger to them. So back when my wife used to drive her B5 Blue 69 Super Bee around we would get some stares! The joke comes in when you could see people through the windows and read their lips saying CHAAARRGERRRR!!!!!!! (and pointing) So now when I see a Mopar I do this as a joke between us.

:hack: CHAAARRGERRRR!!!!!!!

Back