• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper brake pipes

Steve

Reaction score
Do any of you guys use these.Are there any advantages/disadvantages.Appreciate your advice as my brake pipes will need renewing soon.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
No copper!!

Copper is too soft, fatigues and breaks easily with vibration and as it ages. Its just not safe!!!! I can't stress that more.... and no compression fitings either.....

You have two options. Make the line up yourself with 3/16 steel brake line. (this would be tubing just made for this use) You'll have to make double flares at the fittings, not too hard, but if you haven't done them before, they can be a challenge to get right. You can also use premade lengths of brake line. They come in lengths from about 6" to 5' and you fit them together with connectors and assorted fittings.

The problems with doing this are first... you need to be able to make a double flair for the end and it usually involves getting the material and several trips to the local well stocked auto parts store for additional line and fittings. Getting the "English" (how ironic) or SAE version of tubing and fittings is getting enough to find in the states... Finding something other then Metric sizes might be just about impossible where you are.

The second option is much simplier and much neater and safer when done. Order a kit from Fine Lines or Inline Tube and be done with it. I think Inline Tube has a better reputation, but someone else can chime in on that.

http://www.finelinesinc.com/

http://www.inlinetube.com/

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I bought from inline tube and its an exact copy of the original. As John said NO copper! We would like to have you around! :yesnod:

6t9runner440

Reaction score
another option is stainless...i used that and the brake and fuel lines look like the day they were put on the car

69runner

Reaction score
No copper brake lines under any circumstances. Double flaired steel or stainless lines only.

droptop

Reaction score
These folks have pre bent, ready to install lines made for your car. Steel or stainless steel are the only metals that should be used for brake lines.

http://www.finelines.com

:lmao: this link takes you to a drapries web site. Google Fine Lines and you will find it.

Steve

Reaction score
Big John said:
No copper!!

Copper is too soft, fatigues and breaks easily with vibration and as it ages. Its just not safe!!!! I can't stress that more.... and no compression fitings either....
:eek:

WOW!...I'm glad I asked your advice before buying and fitting the copper pipe.Saved doing the job twice and replacing the whole lot again.
I take it copper fuel pipe also gets a big thumbs down for the same reason.

John69RR

Reaction score
I would not use copper for the reasons listed above. Also, your brake lines are subjected to very high pressure, especially when you slam on them. Hence the double flare on the brake lines. FYI the coils you find wrapped around the brake lines are there to protect the lines from rocks etc.. that may be flung up and hit the tubing. Stay away from copper.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Fine Lines did a great job on mine. I was very happy with them. BTW get the stainless as it will hold its exterior finish longer then the standard steel because it won't corrode like the standard steel lines do. This is also a plus since failures usually occur from the inside out and stainless won't rust on the inside either.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
I think Inline Tube has a better reputation, but someone else can chime in on that.

http://www.finelinesinc.com/

http://www.inlinetube.com/

I've used both - with good results. Most recently I put a braking system on my Malibu that was a combination of aftermarket and original pieces (Wilwood MC/manual front disks/drum rears) and one of the guys at inline tube helped me cobble together a brake line kit (and a prop vavle) that was as close to bolt-on as one could hope for. I had to bend up my own lines from the MC to the prop vavle, but everything else just about fell into place. Got the gas tank and straps from them too. Good guys - willing to spend some time on the phone with you to get you what you need. :thumbsup:

Ray

Back