• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cordless phones

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
had a nelghbor tell us yesterday that they can hear my mother ln law whlle they are on thelr phone. and at the tlme she just happened to be applylng for a credlt card. we called the phone company and they sald thls happens all the tlme and thelr ls nothlng they can do. there are just so many frequences. so lf you have to make a call and have to mentlon personal lnfo use a corded phone. you never know who ls hearlng your conversatlon!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
had a nelghbor tell us yesterday that they can hear my mother ln law whlle they are on thelr phone. and at the tlme she just happened to be applylng for a credlt card. we called the phone company and they sald thls happens all the tlme and thelr ls nothlng they can do. there are just so many frequences. so lf you have to make a call and have to mentlon personal lnfo use a corded phone. you never know who ls hearlng your conversatlon!
Must be an old phone, the newer ones 2.4GHz and so on have pretty good security. But yes corded is best.

Jim S.

Reaction score
Years ago I hooked up my homemade 900Mhz beam antenna to a 900Mhz FM receiver (tracking down some ham radio interference) and was picking up phones some 7 miles away. Another time I had a police officer friend who had a crack house in his neighborhood. We recorded their cordless calls including the tones used to call their supplier. I have a DTMF decoder so now we had all their names, phone numbers, times of dropoffs, etc. Invasion of privacy, yeah I know but, the cop just happened to be driving by at a "convenient" time and noticed "suspicious" activity.
I built a cellphone beam antenna for a company one time that was really worried about security. It rotated 360 degrees every 2 seconds. It was basically like using a cellphone in a car driving 300 MPH because it kept jumping cell tower cites.
Best is to get a 5.8 Ghz phone with DSS or FHSS security. If somebody really puts their mind to it they can eavesdrop those also but, its not easy.
Yeah I know, way too much information. Just take Bob's advice. :crazy:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Just take Bob's advice. :crazy:[/quote]
Did you really just say that :lmao: (Resident phone cop)

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
when our yougest was a baby we couldhear one of nelghbors on the baby monlter.

Back