• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cost for a transmission swap from a manual to automatic

vso737

Reaction score
What are the LABOR HOURS to: Replace the 4 speed on the floor with a new TCI 727 automatic. All the items supplied by the owner. Transmission; 2400 stall TCI T/C; trans. cooler; B & M Quick Silver manual/auto floor shifter; shift cable; carburetor adapter brackets (not needed). Even the "TCI" ATF fluid recommended for their transmission was supplied.

Includes the removal of the clutch pedal from inside the car. I would like an opinion on how many hours it would take to do the job.

Having a California LABOR GUIDE would be nice.

Thank you in advance,
LG,
Mike

Mopar Vince

Reaction score
About a case of beer and 2 weekend days in the garage with jackstands.
Better figure in at least one or two trips to the auto parts store for this and that.
And another case of beer to go for each of your buddies that helped you.

vso737

Reaction score
About a case of beer and 2 weekend days in the garage with jackstands.
Better figure in at least one or two trips to the auto parts store for this and that.
And another case of beer to go for each of your buddies that helped you.

Hi Vince,
I guess I was not clear in my request.............I'm looking for CALIF PROFESSIONAL AUTO SHOP "labor hours" quotation for doing the work. Another words, how many hours should a professional hot rod shop take, or at least original estimate be ???

Easy SWAP, manual for auto. I supply all the material excluding trans. cooler lines. The NEW "TCI" 727; "TCI" T/C; B & M manual/auto shifter; including the "TCI" ATF trans fluid. No modifications needed for the install. The 4 speed was a floor shift. The drives-shaft did not need any modifications either.

Thanks for the input..........BUT I HATE beer, can't even tell you how many decades it has been since I've had one. Probably since the two years I indulged in it when in Germany in 1967-69. Drank enough then to last me a lifetime and I had the 'beer gut' to prove it. I guess it was being young and stupid at the time.

Mopar Vince

Reaction score
Sorry for being sarcastic.
It seems like everything revolves around cold beer or some other adult beverages here in Havasu.
With that said...
Looks like you got a more serious answer on FBBO forum anyways.

vso737

Reaction score
Sorry for being sarcastic.
It seems like everything revolves around cold beer or some other adult beverages here in Havasu.
With that said...
Looks like you got a more serious answer on FBBO forum anyways.

NO offense taken. In fact, my nephew was living in Havasu for a while and he does enough beer drinking for the three of us. My wife and I quit our membership in our local Corvette club because we felt like a third wheel being the ONLY non alcoholic drinkers in the club. All we did is go on wine tasting trips to Santa Barbara. I think I posted pictures of my past '57 Corvette and my current 1930 Model A hot rod.

Talking about FBBO, these are the ONLY two MOPAR sites I belong to and you are correct, seems like the FBBO is a little more serious and in my case, more helpful with the input. I was just feeling the waters. I'm POSITIVE "BAR" is going to come down hard on this business and I expect a satisfactory resolution to my dilemma.

Are you aware of any other MOPAR websites??

I belong to the HAMB site and found that website very instrumental in helping me with my hot rod build. This May I finished my 1930 Model A hot-rod (six year project) and did everything myself. The HAMB members are out of this world, I could have NEVER been able to pull it off without their input. Of course, like everything else, one has to make the final decision on things but the ideas and advise were extremely helpful.

NOW that I finally got the car of my dreams............a '69 RR big block, I intend to know as much about the Plymouth as I can.

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

vso737

Reaction score
I used to be in Orange County and dealt with Joe at westminster transmissions.
He knows his mopars and transmissions too.
You could try giving him a call.
http://www.westminstertransmission.com/
Hope this helps.

Thanks Vince for the info.
I have all the info I want on the subject. All that is left now is wait for the "BAR" investigation to conclude. I may or may not have to subpoena their finding when and if I end up filing a SMALL CLAIMS case. All I can do is wait for the investigator to contact me. I have pretty thorough documentation of the entire episode. Should be a slam dunk case for the "BAR" guy since this CROOK broke every rule in the books.

One thing I learned from this, put friendship aside, car guy or no car guy, when dealing with money............. and one is NEVER too old to get 'duped'................I don't know how people like this can live with themselves. WORSE of all, allowing myself for falling for this scam. I think that is what makes me madder than anything.

Thanks again,
LG,
MIKE

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
OK... We have to hear the rest of the story...

I was trying to figure out why you needed specific labor hours. I was thinking that most shops would just say "time and materials" and maybe give you a ballpark estimate.

I know I didn't respond because I've always done this sort of thing myself.... The two days and some beer sounds right although I don't drink and work... well, OK... unless I'm painting... Then I drink and paint.... But I digress....

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Ah yes the cross thread, oh well hey it's nice to be in two places at once :)

vso737

Reaction score
ISSUE RESOLVED...................FINAL COST is 20 hours total. That is a LONG ways from the asking 43.5 hours.

An honest figure would have been more like 15 hours and at most not one minute over 18 hours. I was on the generous side and told the "BAR" investigator that I could LIVE with a 20 hour charge..............

Let me just say that this business did NOT loose any money. Maybe now that "BAR" is aware of their business practices, he may just loose a little more in the long run by having to adhere to sound business practices.

LG,
Mike

Back