• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cost to use the "bird"

A31PKG

Reaction score
Does anyone recall how much Chry. Co. paid Warner Bros. for the use of the name & likeness of the Road Runner?

I know I read it in one of my books, but I can't seem to find it... I think it was something like 50 grand or less?

Thanks

:cheers:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
A31PKG said:
Does anyone recall how much Chry. Co. paid Warner Bros. for the use of the name & likeness of the Road Runner?

I know I read it in one of my books, but I can't seem to find it... I think it was something like 50 grand or less?

Thanks

:cheers:
I seem to remember that 50K number also.

A31PKG

Reaction score
Thanks Acme, what an incredible article! It should be made into a movie... Anybody got Spielberg's number?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is a really great read. Pretty much covers the entire evolution of the RR including all of the behind the scenes stuff - and from the most reliable source possible.

Now any of the newbies that didn't know before why we oldtimers here sometimes refer to this site as "69lamancha.net" will be entirely up to speed... :lol:

:jester:

A31PKG

Reaction score
You can say that again!

We should probably find a spot for that article in the reference section. It really spells out the concept and birth of these amazing cars!

I am impressed with how "in touch" the suits were back then. I almost get the feeling it was about more than just sales...

If only they could adopt the same strategy today... could you imagine a "stripper" Challenger of Charger?

Naw... never happen in this day and age.

Back then simply fast got you the "dollys".... now its Leather, Navi, TCS, ABS, etc etc.....

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a good article and a good idea to get it in the reference section or at least link it.I can do that when I get a litle time.

droptop

Reaction score
Who the hell was the first ad agency that would even think of LaMancha.....McMann and Tate? I don't even think that Darren Stevens would come up with a name for a muscle car like that. After all, it was the 60's and we were a one language nation then.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
droptop said:
Who the hell was the first ad agency that would even think of LaMancha.....McMann and Tate? I don't even think that Darren Stevens would come up with a name for a muscle car like that. After all, it was the 60's and we were a one language nation then.
Spaceley Sprockets :jester:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
droptop said:
RUT RUO!!!! You're showing your age now Bob!!!!!

mcmopar

Reaction score
That article is practically the whole story Jack told at the 2005 Mopar Nationals when they were celebrating The Year of The Road Runner. It was great sitting there in the tent with a lot of other Road Runner enthusiasts listening to him telling that story. A lot of us got to talk to him afterwards and there was a video made of this story - although it is more abbreviated. When I get the chance I'll convert it from VHS into an mpeg movie for you guys.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
That article also feeds the argument of Meep Meep which was printed in the article and then a picture of the horn center that says Beep Beep :yesnod:

A31PKG

Reaction score
In the article, I wonder what he meant by "annual" fee?
I wonder if it was a yearly deal? Maybe I just read it wrong....
:huh:

mcmopar

Reaction score
At the 'Nats nothing was said of an annual fee. It seemed to me that it was a one time deal but there may have been an agreement for an annual fee for as long as the car was produced perhaps. I thought it was a one and done deal.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know but what would $50,000 be in today's money $500,000 ????? a serious chunk of money for something they didn't have a lot of confidence in, I think

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
droptop said:

Cogswell Cogs

Back