• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cragar S/S Selection

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys, need some help. At the risk of going against the grain of those that like the 15" wheel size; I've opted to go with 18" wheels. I've been convinced that in order to really get the most out of all the suspension upgrades, that I should really go with less sidewall height.

SO. . .

For sure I want the Cragar S/S wheel. I'm thinking 295/40/18 in the rear and 235/50/18 up front. First, I'd like to hear what you think of the tire size in general, second; can you help with the back-space needed? I don't know anything about that and I want to order everything from Jegs tomorrow if I can.

Thanks guys,

John

chapdog105

Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Steve said:
JJRJR said:
I've opted to go with 18" wheels.

Don't do it :cents: :facepalm:

Why? I'm open to hearing both sides. The car is far from an "original" restoration.

Dress her up as you will. It's your car. They all look alike with the 15's.
I would only be concerned that your classic car will look "dated" a few years from now.
I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but I see a lot of classic cars that were restored in the 90's to that era that look ridiculous by today's standard. Teal paint, deep dish wheels, etc..

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
we pretty much agree to do your car to please you. but those blg wheels just look wrong on musclecars. especially the skinney sldewalls. bul l like the
the rear ln the sky blg and littles green day two look myself so what do l know!

droptop

Reaction score
You should be good with the 40 and 50 series tires. A lot of guys go with to short of a sidewall on their tires and that it just kills the ride. You will also bend a rim if you run over a grain of sand. :cents: I saw a set of these on a Charger that looked very good. He put a 1/4" red pin stripe on the rim to simulate a red streak tire.

Steve

Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Steve said:
JJRJR said:
I've opted to go with 18" wheels.

Don't do it :cents: :facepalm:

Why? I'm open to hearing both sides. The car is far from an "original" restoration.

Big diameter wheels just look wrong on a classic musclecar.All said it's your car John so as long as you like it that's all that matters.Just giving you my opinion :thumbsup:

BBillyC

Reaction score
I like the cragars as they are timeless and look great. Here I have 14's on the front and 15's on the rear.

IMG_3810.jpg

zupanj

Reaction score
I also like the look of 15 inch wheels on our cars. I have also seen some muscle cars with 17 inch wheels that look good and in fact you almost don't see the difference. I think the trick is to select tires that give a total diameter close to a 15 inch wheel/tire combination. One advantage of 17 inch wheels is tire selection, you can find any number of good tires in that size. On the other hand 15 inch tire selection is very limited. I have 15 inch BFGs on my Cobra and I think they are not a very good tire.

droptop

Reaction score
zupanj said:
......... I have 15 inch BFGs on my Cobra and I think they are not a very good tire.

I agree about the BFG tires. Don't think I will ever buy them again. But no way I will go with the 17" Cragars. :cents:

BBillyC

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. The tires on the rear are Mickey's 28X12.00R15LT on Cragar 15 x 12 rims.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
BBillyC said:
Sorry for the late reply. The tires on the rear are Mickey's 28X12.00R15LT on Cragar 15 x 12 rims.

Should have gone with a big tire... :basketcase:

Looks awsome, Billy! :cheers:

Back