• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crate motor? Or build one from scratch?

Smokngun

Reaction score
I'm a ways away from needing "The Big Motor" for my Roadrunner project, but I've been knocking this question around. The original 383 has been in pieces for a couple decades and will need a boatload of machining, (bore, crank cut, deck heads and block, line bore, etc.) so my immediate plan is to just find a running 440 to drop in the car for now. Eventually I'd like to put together a 550/600 horsepower motor, leaning toward a 500"ish stroker, 2 x 4 barrels (just because I've always wanted them on a car), aluminum heads, etc. I don't have any real specific components in mind to use as far as heads, pistons, etc.

I've built engines in the past (though never a stroker) and have a good machine shop locally that can handle the block machining and head work if needed. So do I do a ton of research getting it right and build one myself? Or do I spend a couple extra grand and just buy a crate motor? I'm past the point in my life that I "need" the satisfaction of doing it myself, but if it's going to be half the price, then I'll do it. Any suggestions for companies to use for crate motors (or ones to stay away from)? My goal is to have a very streetable car that will run deep in the 11's (or even get into the 10's) on drag radials and closed exhaust.

The original 383 will eventually get a budget rebuild and sit on the engine stand just to have the original motor from the car, or in case there is some catastrophic failure of the one in the car, then I have something to put in it to drive.

quikbird

Reaction score
Several places for parts, 440 source has stroker kits and heads, Indy cylinder heads have it from parts to complete crate engine, get a copy of mopar collectors guide and go through it. Lots of people selling crate engines in there. For parts the engine builder will need to clearance a couple areas for the rods as well as the oil pickup tube. Cam type as well as lifters need selected, pushrods will need to be ordered ( smith brothers) let us know how it goes

chapdog105

Reaction score
A buddy of mine recently decided to take a 400 motor from the 70's and stroke it to 499. The result is BIG hp and torque, and only about $8-10k in the motor. Also, they look identical to a 383 when in the engine bay.
Sounds like a cool idea to me....

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like to build my own. It not only assures me that everything is right the first time the fuse is lit, but I find the whole process to be one of the most enjoyable aspects of the hobby. I really like checking the clearances, hand gapping the rings, port matching the gaskets, all that stuff...it is just a hell of a lot of fun as far as I'm concerned. I've been using the same machine shop since 1981. First dealt with the father, now with his son. They do all of the heavy lifting and I get to put the cherry on the cake. Unless I was building a race car that I was trying to earn some serious money with I wouldn't do it any other way...:cents: Certainly this is not for everyone, but based on your post it sounds like a viable option for you.

As for what kind of stroker to build - if you already have the 440 then go that route. If not then the 400 is a great candidate. Plenty of stroker kits available to get you up around 500 CI, or you can always use a turned down 440 crank to build a 451 if you're trying to save some ching. Don't forget that Schurbon Engine and Machine won the Amsoil/Mopar Engine Challenge a few years ago with that set-up. They are not to be taken lightly even if they are down by 50 cubes.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Other than shooting, eating and sex not necessarily in that order, there isn't much that I enjoy more than engine assembly:lmao:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
from my limited knowlage, having a good machine shop is key, but they are getting as hard to find as a good bodyshop that doesn't tie you car up for years. when we rebuilt the 440 that was in my Charger and Freebird, i really enjoyed it, and very satisfying when it fired up.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
If you're looking for a business that specializes in Mopar engine building you could give MRL a call. The owner/engine builder's name is Mike. They are out of Michigan and have shipped motors all across the country. He has competed in national Mopar engine building competitions. It doesn't cost a dime to call him up and talk. They don't pressure anybody into buying from them either. I bought a 408 stroker from them a few months ago.

Capture.jpgCapture1.jpgCapture2.jpgCapture3.jpgCapture4.JPG

Capture.jpg

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

Capture4.JPG

moparchris

Reaction score
I like to build my own. It not only assures me that everything is right the first time the fuse is lit, but I find the whole process to be one of the most enjoyable aspects of the hobby. I really like checking the clearances, hand gapping the rings, port matching the gaskets, all that stuff...it is just a hell of a lot of fun as far as I'm concerned. I've been using the same machine shop since 1981. First dealt with the father, now with his son. They do all of the heavy lifting and I get to put the cherry on the cake. Unless I was building a race car that I was trying to earn some serious money with I wouldn't do it any other way...:cents: Certainly this is not for everyone, but based on your post it sounds like a viable option for you.

As for what kind of stroker to build - if you already have the 440 then go that route. If not then the 400 is a great candidate. Plenty of stroker kits available to get you up around 500 CI, or you can always use a turned down 440 crank to build a 451 if you're trying to save some ching. Don't forget that Schurbon Engine and Machine won the Amsoil/Mopar Engine Challenge a few years ago with that set-up. They are not to be taken lightly even if they are down by 50 cubes.

Couldn't have said it better myself. No one pays more attention to detail on my engines than me.

Other than shooting, eating and sex not necessarily in that order, there isn't much that I enjoy more than engine assembly:lmao:

You enjoy sex? Weird

Back