• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dash cluster

dmartin

Reaction score
does anyone know what to use or what to do to change or convert the five volt instrument voltage limiter so it does not fry my dash or the whole car. A friend of mine said I better get it changed before getting it running, hope someone can help with advice, or has anyone did this. Thanks!!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
There are electronic "plug and play" regulators available. Never used one myself as I never had the need to replace one. But then again, I'm a "don't fix what isn't broke" guy.

Your car won't "fry" if the regulator stops working... Some of the gauges won't work... but that's it.

quikbird

Reaction score
Old one probably works just fine, they do make a electronic version which is supposed to keep the voltage more stable than the original one. Need to take out instrument cluster to get to it though.

dmartin

Reaction score
well do I need the little condenser that mounts to the side of it

quikbird

Reaction score
I think one of the mopar magazines did an article on this change about 5 years ago. You might check their archives for the article. It had a bunch of pictures and would answer the question about the condenser. I am guessing, but I think that whatever function the condenser does would be included in the new piece.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Old one probably works just fine, they do make a electronic version which is supposed to keep the voltage more stable than the original one. Need to take out instrument cluster to get to it though.

You don't need to take out the cluster to changer the regulator. I changed one out on my car but it's a royal PITA!! You'll need a good mirror to get some idea where the thing is and being a contortionist helps a bit. The worst part is getting the small wire from the condenser into the one of the prong holes as you slip the regulator into place. So it is doable and I think still easier then pulling the cluster out.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You don't need to take out the cluster to changer the regulator. I changed one out on my car but it's a royal PITA!! You'll need a good mirror to get some idea where the thing is and being a contortionist helps a bit. The worst part is getting the small wire from the condenser into the one of the prong holes as you slip the regulator into place. So it is doable and I think still easier then pulling the cluster out.

Smaller guys and you may be one of them by now, can lay on the floor and see it. :jester: And yes the condenser stays

Big John

Reaction score
In answer to the condenser (capacitor) question, I would expect that with the electronic regulator, you will not need the capacitor. Its function is to absorb the RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) generated by the regulator opening and closing its points.

In other words, it stops any static you would hear in your AM radio from the regulator.

No points in the electronic regulator, no RFI.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Smaller guys and you may be one of them by now, can lay on the floor and see it. :jester: And yes the condenser stays

I'm not there yet Bob, but I am still going in the right direction. But slowly!! :lol: And as John said, if you don't need the wire, then that would make it a lot easier.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Guess Ill unplug mine and see what happens. Didn't know it was for noise.

Big John

Reaction score
It's not gonna hurt anything to be there. I wouldn't bother.

Back