• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dave Intro

Dave

Reaction score
hi im dave, i just bought a 69 road runner that has issues already need help please. the main problem is getting it to start. sometimes it starts right up but most times it wont. has a new battery so thats not the problem. any suggestions would be much appreciated motor is a 440 4 barrell

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome fom Ohio Dave. Let's see that road runner!
Not knowing your skill level, I'll mention some basics. Does the car still have a points distributor or electronic igintion? If it has points they made need adjusted or replaced, and the timing checked. If it has electronic, the ECU box may be goin bad or need the ground cleaned. When it won't start, is the carb getting fuel?

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
Hi Dave. Congrats on buying the RR. Because you did not volunteer a lot of info about your starting problem I'm going to assume that you're fairly new to working on these cars. (apology if I'm wrong) There are a lot of possible things that could be causing your starting problem. Basketcase has already started asking a few questions to help you get to the root of things. My initial guess would be a tuning issue. If it hasn't had a tune up in awhile, it would be worthwhile to replace spark plugs, spark plug wires, points (if you still have a points style ignition), distributor cap, recheck the timing, etc... I don't know your age, but I know that a lot of folks that don't have much experience with these older cars are unaware of how much more often they have to be tuned. I'm sure that the guys on this site (like Basketcase) will be glad to help you get to the bottom of what's going on. - More info would be helpful though.

Maybe I didn't read enough into your initial post. You mentioned that it had a new battery and still has times it won't start. Are you saying that at times it doesn't crank over, - even with the new battery? If that's the case, it's obviously a wiring issue or bad starter. The circuit is fairly simple. It's not impossible for the ignition switch to go bad but I don't hear of that as often as other possible problems. There's always the neutral safety switch if you've got an automatic or the wiring as it goes through the firewall. Those bulkhead connectors are known to develop conductivity problems when these cars get old. Usually it's a matter of disassembling, cleaning, and re-assembling the connectors on the engine compartment side. Of course it could be a poor ground that would cause intermittent cranking problems too.

If it is a problem with not cranking over you can narrow the problem down a bit by trying to start the car by jumping the starter solenoid. If it cranks consistently that way the problem isn't in the starter.

Last edited:

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Welcome from Florida Dave, are you getting any spark at all. Basket made a good comment, it is has points and condenser they could be bad.

Bee Keeper

Reaction score
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new Bird! Do you smell fuel during the times that it doesn't start? These old cars are like women, there aren't two alike. Hopefully you are just flooding her sometimes and will just need to learn her starting fuel requirements. If not, Basketcase and 1967 'cuda have given you some great suggestions.

... and lets see some pic's. ;)

Dave

Reaction score
thanks everybody for the suggestions turns out it was a bad starter relay thats mounted to the firewall changed that and she fires up real nice every time now. i will post some pics when i can figure out how lol

Dave

Reaction score
cant wait for sand and salt to get off roads to be able to finally drive it69 rr 2.jpg

69 rr 2.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
oh it's just a red car.......JUST KIDDING! Looks sweet, need to snap some full body outdoor shots. I know how you fell, I can't wait to get mine out.

Back