• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dead on the road...fuel pump?

Jono69RR

Reaction score
So I was driving down the highway two nights ago and the car went from sounding perfect and running strong to completely dead. No knocking, no banging, no boom, nothing. It went totally silent and I drifted over to the shoulder. First thing I checked was the fuel filter and it had gas but the filter had some sediment in the element. I cleaned that out, cranked it and no gas refilled the filter. I thought for sure it was the fuel pump so since then I have replaced it. Still I have no gas flowing. I did check the fuel line back to the tank and from what I can see it looks good. Any ideas?? :uncomfortableness:

BTW, it's got a stock 440 with 4 barrel.

Thanks for any help!

mcmopar

Reaction score
So I was driving down the highway two nights ago and the car went from sounding perfect and running strong to completely dead. No knocking, no banging, no boom, nothing. It went totally silent and I drifted over to the shoulder. First thing I checked was the fuel filter and it had gas but the filter had some sediment in the element. I cleaned that out, cranked it and no gas refilled the filter. I thought for sure it was the fuel pump so since then I have replaced it. Still I have no gas flowing. I did check the fuel line back to the tank and from what I can see it looks good. Any ideas?? :uncomfortableness:

BTW, it's got a stock 440 with 4 barrel.

Thanks for any help!

The fuel pump pushrod is a known problem. Some of them are soft and they get worn down by about 1/4". Mine did. Pull the fuel pump and see if you can get the pushrod out. If you are lucky it will fall out. If not you are going to have to work it out of there and may need to pull the intake manifold to get to the back side of the pushrod. If it is the pushrod you now have an engine with lots of very fine metallic particles in it. You need to get a magnetic drain plug for the oil pan immediately. Drain your oil and if necessary remove the pan to clean it out. Reinstall the pan after a thourough cleaning and install the magnetic drain plug. Install a new filter and oil. Change the oil every 100-200 miles or so for about 1000 miles to get most of the metallic residue out of the engine. Of course, if you want to make sure it is all cleaned out you'll need to remove the engine, disassemble, clean, reassemble and replace the engine. That's a lot of work. When my pump pushrod went I opted not to take the engine apart. After 9 years and about 15,000 - 20,000 miles later all is well and it still runs like a top. I still get metallic residue on the drain plug. It is incredibly fine in texture - almost like graphite - which I am sure is why the bearings have survived so long. Check around online and see if you can find a hardened fuel pump pushrod. Hughes Engines used to have them (that's where I got mine). I hope it isn't the pushrod but from the sound of it I'll bet good money this is your problem.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
before tearing into the engine, make sure the fuel line from the tank isn't blocked. I had the sock filter on the sending unit clog up and stop the flow.Double check any rubber hoses aren't pinched either.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Not to be a wise guy... But I've seen this happen so many times... You do have gas in the tank, right? So many of the gas gauge senders are messed up in these cars that guys think there is gas when there isn't.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
good thought Big, might be time for the one gallon field test tank.

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
vapor lock?--440 --426 has return lines 383 don't and the new gas is not helping things--its melts the socks,rubber lines,fuel pumps clogs up filters and vent lines too!

moparmonk

Reaction score
Ditto on the fuel pump rod sawing itself short. I have been down that road, too! Well maybe bad analogy... Down the road was not a good choice of words. Off the road is better. Measure it and compare to a known good one.

Back