• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decoding a 426 hemi

robbies69

Reaction score
The stamp pad above the pan rail RM21J9C17XXXX. The C is what has me confused. That would be the Jefferson plant and to my knowledge Roadrunners came out of the Lynch or St. Louis plants. I haven't viewed the pad myself as this came from my engine builder. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

droptop

Reaction score
Road Runners were produced at multiple plants. The convertibles were only made in St. Louis.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Paul Herd's book on the restoration of Chargers, Road Runners, and Super Bees states that according to Chrysler, B Bodies were built at only four plants: Lynch Road, Hamtramck, Los Angeles, and St. Louis. He is noted for getting a lot of stuff wrong in that book, but I think he is correct on this account.

That said, I'd bet a hundred bucks the stamping on that block is a "G" that is poorly stamped.

robbies69

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. I to believe it was a poor stamping because they got part of the stamp on the engine casting. Then I came across a roadrunner Hemi Registry that also had 2 listed with a C code. I can't believe I didn't bookmark that page so I'll go back in the history and try to find. I'll post it if I find it. On another site a guy mentioned it could be a concept car and they usually kept them hidden in other plants. I don't know what to believe.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the missing tail on the "G" is by far the most likely scenario. Having said that, you can NEVER rule anything out with Ma MoPar. While it is doubtful that a Hemi RR rolled out of Jefferson during the '69 model year, no one with any real history with MoPars would say it is impossible. Seems like every time that someone etches in stone that Ma MoPar did not do this, or did not offer or build that, a car turns up that proves everyone wrong. My own personal case in point: I have owned an odd little '70 Duster 340 since October 1978. VIN is VS29H0RXXXXXX. "R" as we all know is Windsor. "Odd" as in Ma MoPar says she did not build any '70 340 Dusters @ Windsor. Nevertheless, about a dozen have been documented.

So what is the story with this one anyway? You have the car and the engine, or just the engine? Inquiring minds want to know...

robbies69

Reaction score
I post another reply but it didn't show up so I'll try it again. I went to the decode this web site and found 9 vins registered identical
RM21j9C17xxxx with the last 4 digits different. So I entered mine in and it came up a match. So thanks to whoever gave me that info. Due to my divorce I had to sell my 69 RR but it was not a Hemi car. Some other information I found out is in 69 they made concept cars using the roadrunner as the base and they called it the Duster 1. It was obviously made for show as it came with no top on it. They all had 4 speed hemi engines. The following year they came out with the Duster and I believe it was made at the Jefferson plant but don't take that to the bank. At least I know there are other cars in this registry that matches mine. I'm going to sell the engine when I get it completed and I'll post it here.

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
I got a 1968 road runner hemi hard top --RM23J8A273139---4SP----AL PIC  LITTLE 060.jpg--SAL PIC  LITTLE 060.jpgAL PIC  LITTLE 060.jpgHE IS BEING PUT BACK TOGETHER NOW 426 4SP DANA 60 354 RR1 PAINT BLACK GUT BENCH SEAT-MAN EVERTHING!

AL PIC  LITTLE 060.jpg

Back