• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Delays delays, nothing but delays...

Smokngun

Reaction score
Hi all, It's been a while since I posted and didn't want you to think I forgot about you (LOL).

My 69 RR HT project seems to keep getting pushed back. The body guy that is welding up floors, media blasting, priming, and putting color on the bottom and jams has pushed it out to October now before I will see the car. It originally was going to be "4 weeks" (back in May when I put the deposit down). I figured it would be double that, so July was acceptable. That would still have given me the summer to work on it and get it back to him this fall to shoot color & clear on the outside surfaces. Now, that most likely won't happen until spring, which puts me at end of next summer (at best) to have the car together & running.:ambivalence:

On a good note: The K-Frame is done, lower control arms have stiffening plates welded on, upper and lower arms are powder coated along with the drum brake backing plates. All new ball joints, tie rods ends/sleeves, idler and Pittman arms installed, rear axle painted and re-assembled, leaf springs cleaned and painted, new shackles, and new polygraphite bushings all around! Just waiting to bolt it all up to the car when it comes off the rotisserie.

I hope everyone's summer is going well!

earlyrides

Reaction score
Got some time to kill? What about.....

Maybe while you are waiting you can find some Disc brakes to bolt up instead of the drums???
Is your engine and trans up to the task?
Have you got a fresh wiring harness?
Have you took some time to restore the grille?
Is the dash out of the car that it can be prepped while you wait?
Did you put the new u-joints in the drive shaft and have it balanced?
Dang...now that I am thinking about it; how old are those tires you have on the wheels you are thinking about bolting up?
Did you get all of your chrome replated or polished up?
Now where did you put the window hardware? Did you remember to get the new anti rattle clips for the windows?
Might as well send the wing window frames out to be rechromed. They always seem nice when you pull them out but always seem dull and pitted when the go back on next to the fresh paint.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I feel your pain, mine was supposed to be in color this spring, now I'm looking at next spring at the earliest.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
not really jail for me, it's together and drivable.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
I just got an estimate for body and paint, they will take it all apart, meaning take out front and rear glass and outer trim and bumpers, do the work in 4 weeks and then give it back to me to put together (money savings deal) don't mind those trim parts are easy. Point is the 4 weeks is if we get it in the shop right now has to be right now or no go if later lol I told him if this is how is shop trends with projects see you this time next year. My car is a drivable project as well.

Smokngun

Reaction score
Early, you are trouble. ;)

I don't have most of the car. What I have in my hands is done. I figured once I have the car all block sanded and body/filler work finished and it went back to him for paint I'd do the grille, polish the trim, pick up the seals and gaskets I need to put it all back together. I have NO motor to drop in at this point. The original 383 has been in pieces for a couple decades by the looks of it and it is doubtful that I will use it (although I will certainly keep it...#'s matching original). I plan on picking up a Craigslist 383/400/440 when it comes time to drop a motor in it just for motivation for the car. My 3 year plan after the car is driving is to start working on a 505" stroker. That, a Dana 60 (or at least a trussed 8-3/4"), and 4 wheel discs will go on at that time.

4 weeks? That was a joke, I don't think he looked at it for 4 weeks after I gave him the deposit.

MoparErike

Reaction score
I feel your pain. My R/R was suppose to go to paint in Oct 12'. Just went to paint last month. Body guys are flakes. Hang in there.:welcoming:

earlyrides

Reaction score
paint jail - choose you paint shop wisely

I have a theory about paint guys, pricing and their reliability.

At first, their paint jobs arent so good because they are young and inexperienced but they have alot of energy and crank out the paintjobs in record time and at a resonable price.

Then, they start to get more experience and realize that they need to take more time to prep the cars before paint.

This realization is usually the result of all of the "come-backs" from ill prepared car paint jobs which coincidentally slows down the production in the shop.

Then they start to get a pretty good reputation and maybe some magazine exposure for the excellent paint jobs that are really taking a long time to do but look fantastic. (and the price goes up.)

Then after many years of standing in the spray booth and sanding on cars they end up with just 2 brain cells left.

And if those 2 brain cells arent getting along or worse yet are arguing; then all bets are off.

Then finally one day you go to your "buddy" the paint guy's shop to find the gates are closed with a chain and lock and your car is sitting somewhere inside in "paint jail".

Hopefully when this happens (as it has to many of us) you get your car and ALL of the parts back and that there isnt a bunch of stuff to be undone and done over.

The moral of the story is unfortunately when paint shops go under; the cops usually arent too keen on the killing of those responsible for all of the lost time, money and parts.

Rocket

Reaction score
I'm a contractor and I would never get away with that. I think anything service oriented that takes over 2 hours should have a contract with an agreed upon scope of work, timeframe and payment schedule.

Smokngun

Reaction score
Anything over 2 hours or $2000.00. Agreed.

Sometimes a deal that is "Too good to pass up", just isn't. Or, concessions have to be made to accept such a deal (which in this case I have done).

Back