• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dim taillight

BL1 70 roadrunner

Reaction score
Hey guys as I was driving my roadrunner home I noticed that my right rear taillight was dimmer then my left one. I replaced the bulbs and is still dim. Is this a grounding problem?

earlyrides

Reaction score
3 things it might be.

3 possibilities come to mind.

1. weak ground. - to check this try using a short piece of wire with both ends stripped to make a "Mac Gyver" jumper between the tail light aluminum housing and some grounded bare metal on the trunk with the running lights on. I have found by just pressing them on the 2 spots with my fingers that you can see the light get brighter. If it does; then put some rings on and put one on the housing and one to the grounded metal part of the trunk.

2. inner reflection - sometimes the silver reflective part on the inside of the tail light housing discolors differently from one side to the other. In this case you can prep and paint the inside of both housings with some silver paint and get them to look similar.

3. overspray / dirt - I have seen the lenses get dirty or oversprayed on the inside from poorly done bodywork masking when the tail lights were not removed that causes the light to appear dim on one side. If this is the case; remove the plastic lenses, clean as needed and reinstall.

I hope this helps.

droptop

Reaction score
You might look at the light that is bright. Some times the bulb is put in wrong and the tail light becomes the brake light.

pops1969RR

Reaction score
My right tail light was receiving 8 to 9 volts several weeks ago. After I ruled out a grounding problem I traced the wires back and found some corrosion in the wiring harness connector behind the kick panel under the drivers side dash (near the emergency brake pedal). I pulled the connector apart and scraped the contacts clean. Yours could be something totally different. It took me several hours of checking and rechecking things, I was very relieved when I figured mine out. Good luck.

BL1 70 roadrunner

Reaction score
Yeah I kind of makes me mad i bought this car and the man said it was a fresh restoration and it looks like it new paint interior and roof but I'm finding a lot of problems with it. The oils pans leaking the tail light there's a really strong smell of gas when you drive it for more then 10 min. It isn't the carb I checked it there standing gas in the back of the truck when I was driving it home 4 hours. I love the car to death already small things need to be worked out but before long it'll be fantastic .

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
not trying to be a smart ass...but welcome to the wonderful world of 40 year old cars. Sellers can be forgetful....or just plane lie. Don't let this crap discourage you in the least. we've all been thru it. The gas smell....check your firewall for any openings. The PO of my car had done some racing with it, and put the battery in the trunk. They ran the battery cables thru the firewall, and didn't seal up the holes. Had a strong engine/gas/oil odor until I put the battery back under the hood and sealed the cable holes up.
And one man's idea of a "restoration" and yours or mine are different. New paint and interior, and call it a day. But don't touch the 40 year old fuel and brake lines, the worn out front suspension. Leaky oil pan.."well we'll just throw on some fresh engine paint and say the engine was rebuilt" You get the idea. This is one of the enjoyable things about this hobby. Fixing the other guys screw ups(as long as they don't get too $$ My car had a homemade clutch rod, and a door panel clip to hold it on the z bar.....

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Speaking of fresh restoration, there is a facebook page started by a guy with a 70 charger done by GYC and he is saying the messed it up so bad he is going to have it re done.? weird but I guess if this is true then who knows what your getting, only way to know whats what is to find it, lord knows I have found my share of messed up stuff some fixable some just going to leave until either a later date or just never fix. At least the PO in my case just played dumb and only showed me what he could show from the exterior. Who would have know the K member was dented and the idler arm bracket bent like it had been jumping train tracks duke boy style? Crap like that never mind all the incorrect stuff and just plain missing stuff.

Back