• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DirtyBird Intro

DirtyBird

Reaction score
Finally got my dream 69 bench seat 440 fixer upper...I've done simple car work but this brings new adventures for me. I'll tinker with this bad boy when I'm not busy spending time with my 10 month old son who will eventually learn to drive on this pistol grip 4 speed :)

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome from Ohio...let's see your new toy!

quikbird

Reaction score
Welcome, can be a bit of a steep learning curve but well worth the results. This is a great place for advice.

DirtyBird

Reaction score
Thanks guys, really makes me feel good to get a welcome right away. I've browsed many forums and seen a too much hate and not enough love. Thanks for showing the love! I've got a ton of questions and issues, but slept good last night after taking my bird out for a quick ride and she didn't overheat this time, phew!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
sweet! 4 speed post car (and the Pistol Grip is a plus). but we need waay more pics. love the look of it. shiney paint is over rated (that's what I've been telling myself...stuck in primer.
no hate here, just some good old ball busting, no grammar police. just pic whores.

DirtyBird

Reaction score
Love the ball busting, its part of the game and love it. Yes, I'll add more but I'm a bit embarrassed by a lot of the car. It was my dream car at 16 and finally found one in my price range now at 34...bought it site unseen...yikes, but I think I got an okay deal. She needs more work than I hoped but I'm an optimist so that helps! I wanted a fixer upper that I could drive while restoring and this won't be a trailer queen in any way.
People keep asking what color to paint it but I love the Matte black, it just looks meeeaaaaannnn, and at night with the rear lights? ohhhh weeeeeee! :)

I'll add more pics when I can but do you really wanna see the pics of holes in the floor?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've been messing with old cars for 30+ years, do you honestly think you're the only one to buy a project? here's one I was working on a while back. It was someone else's parts car. when I got it, what was left, was junk, or MIA. It had new quarter skins already welded on, and was a four speed car. I traded a buddy a 383/727 for it. I called it Freebird. I had a good 440 and four speed I had pulled out of a '68 Charger I sold, plus a bunch of parts from parts cars over the years. I was able to do 90% of the work myself. did a ton of horsetrading, searching the swap meet at The Nats,MCG and moparts. got it one the road, and had more fun with that primered car than any other I had before. Got it close to getting painted...then the garage burned down. Now I'm in another primered car and still having fun. Free bird.jpgFree bird.jpg

Free bird.jpg

DirtyBird

Reaction score
Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!

I love the gray with black hood...and I may have to get me a 6-pack hood some day, it just looks so damn good.

Thanks for the encouragement. I know I'm not the only one who bought a project but this is my first and its daunting thinking about how much I need done, but also pretty cool to search for parts, join this forum and find a community. I def chose the right one!

BTW...no insurance on the garage? That pic makes me sad...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
oh there was insurance on the garage,but imagine my surprise to learn that a car isn't considered "contents!! since the car was a major project, just liability on the car.But when the adjuster came out, he told me to make a list of all my spare parts,tools, lawn mowers,etc...and he said he'd take care of me. and he did.
and never be ashamed of torn seats,primer...I know of several very nice mopars near me...Daytona,'69 Charger,'70 Challenger 'vert. all done, that haven't been out of the garage this century. You only have so many heartbeats, and you never know when your pride and joy could be taken from you...so enjoy it!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and with our current paint jobs...no worry about chips,scratches...getting it dirty...

Back