• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc break conversion

mjoyner408

Reaction score
I want to a disc break swap on my 69. As a twist, I want to snatch out my K member, motor and tranny and store them for originality. I am the 2nd owner and the car is all original. What I would like to do is build a 440 and 6 speed and have it on a different k member. My question is... Should I use a specific k member that already had disc breaks, use a b body k member with drums and use a disc break kit or start with a fabricated front end? Thanks for the help!

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
hey! :)
It depends on where you wanna go with. Correct me if I’m wrong because I’m not using it, but I’m tempting to tell you that magnumforce k members are really good! If you want something with good handling and go flat around corners. But it’s quite a bit expensive. That is why for our project we’ll go with a Qa1 K member with power disc brakes from wildwood. It’s a conversion kit ‘cause our runner had drums all around. With that combination it still is less expensive than magnumforce. Another one is RMS it looks to be pretty good machinery piece too. I don’t know if anyone of you guys ever go with those two?
But once again it depends on where you want to go with your bird.
Perhaps it is not helping you what I just said but at least you can see an example of one of those many possible combinations.

Last edited:

quikbird

Reaction score
Lots of questions for you to decide on this one.
1. purpose for car. is this a driver, autocrosser, strip car?
2. if add a 6 speed, you will need to alter the trans tunnel some to get it to fit.
3. how much power. how much weight up front.
4. changing one thing tends to change other things as well. work through the systems to see what else is affected by changing the k member. are parts needed to be removed( bump stops, brake hose tabs etc) which will affect your originality.
all comes down to as usual what kind of fun you want to have with your car.

mjoyner408

Reaction score
It will be a fun driver. I want to be able to get in an drive it. I am not interested in racing it. I would plan on moderate power. I would build the 440 with as much aluminum as possible to reduce weight up front.

I probably do not need a super trick road course front end but I was not sure of the cost starting from scratch with either. I would definitely not be against getting a donor front end and firing up the blast booth. Whatever makes the most sense.

quikbird

Reaction score
qai has a tubular frame that basically replaces stock k frame. your original lower and upper control arms will work as well as the torsion bars. they sell upgrades for that as well but buying them is up to you, disc brake conversion kit will fit your existing drum spindle, get one with a new master cylinder. you can stiffen front up a little by going to bigger hemi torsion bars. be careful with them. let the twist off and use the correct tool to work on the bars. then enjoy!! :encouragement:

Back