• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do you know why 1969 road runner has non lite marker lights and all others did?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
That is correct, I do know the answer.

jays69bird

Reaction score
The old man who actually owned a brand new 1969 Plymouth,(First 69 Fury in town) told me Chrysler corp tried to save a couple of bucks on the 69 models and the law was a little vague so they installed the reflectors instead of lights. The Government basically told them that the reflectors didn't cut it and they had better get the reflectors off the cars for 1970. They did something similar with the 72 models going to the cheap generic one size fits all marker lights they didn't update every model year. My 72 Charger had them,my wife's 78 Fury had them. Now that is a story passed down from father to son,so I won't vouch for it being 100% accurate.:wave:
Did a little research which I posted below,kinda of self explanatory,law said reflectors or lights,then amended for 70 models requiring lights and reflectors.

Last edited:

jays69bird

Reaction score

This might help you
REGULATION: FMVSS #108 for sidemarker lights and reflectors specifies amber front and red rear sidemarker lamps and reflectors. The regulation initially required lights OR reflectors on vehicles made after 1 January 1968. This was amended to require lights AND reflectors on vehicles made after 1 January 1970. These side-facing devices make the vehicle's presence, position and direction of travel clearly visible from oblique angles. The lamps are wired so as to illuminate whenever the vehicles parking and tail lamps are on.

droptop

Reaction score
The old man who actually owned a brand new 1969 Plymouth,(First 69 Fury in town) told me Chrysler corp tried to save a couple of bucks on the 69 models and the law was a little vague so they installed the reflectors instead of lights. The Government basically told them that the reflectors didn't cut it and they had better get the reflectors off the cars for 1970. They did something similar with the 72 models going to the cheap generic one size fits all marker lights they didn't update every model year. My 72 Charger had them,my wife's 78 Fury had them. Now that is a story passed down from father to son,so I won't vouch for it being 100% accurate.:wave:
Did a little research which I posted below,kinda of self explanatory,law said reflectors or lights,then amended for 70 models requiring lights and reflectors.

The same side markers were used from 72 until 93. The last model to use them, to the best of my knowledge, was trucks. My 93 Ram Charger had the amber ones in the front.

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
I saw that they forgot and never designed it in the car and it had no wires for it so they got a waver from the dot!16964_103884009636159_3729697_n.jpg is that nuts or what! I read it in a mopar rag--I thought big john would get it--big john you are on the ball and right on what you answer!

16964_103884009636159_3729697_n.jpg

A12

Reaction score
That is correct, I do know the answer.

What is it John. I thought it was the realization that in '68 when they didn't have a reflector and a bulb would burn out that left a vehicle without any marker at that location? Also I thought another reason was that in '68 the front parking lights would be turned off when the headlights were put on and thought maybe the current draw was too great with side markers. A lot of '68 models not only Chrysler vehicles only had marker lights without side reflectors and then in '70 they had both the light and the reflector. The angle of view of a reflector is much greater than a light especially the round, small '68 Chrysler light. The side marker light/reflector is to this day a requirement even on motorcycles where it is a reflector only requirement for bikes. No lower than 15" and no higher than 56" and as far forward and rearward as possible. DAMHIK :wink-new:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I also heard one of the designers referred to the 68 lights as whale blow holes.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
What is it John. I thought it was the realization that in '68 when they didn't have a reflector and a bulb would burn out that left a vehicle without any marker at that location? Also I thought another reason was that in '68 the front parking lights would be turned off when the headlights were put on and thought maybe the current draw was too great with side markers. A lot of '68 models not only Chrysler vehicles only had marker lights without side reflectors and then in '70 they had both the light and the reflector. The angle of view of a reflector is much greater than a light especially the round, small '68 Chrysler light. The side marker light/reflector is to this day a requirement even on motorcycles where it is a reflector only requirement for bikes. No lower than 15" and no higher than 56" and as far forward and rearward as possible. DAMHIK :wink-new:

Jay has the answer. The guberment said "lights or reflectors" and Chrysler went with lights in 68 and then cheaper reflectors in 69. In 70 the feds said "lights with reflective lenses".

I actually like the 68 sidemakers the best.....

jays69bird

Reaction score
Jay has the answer. The guberment said "lights or reflectors" and Chrysler went with lights in 68 and then cheaper reflectors in 69. In 70 the feds said "lights with reflective lenses".

I actually like the 68 sidemakers the best.....

What can I say ? Even the blind squirrel finds the nut once in awhile !

Back