• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does your car leak oil?

chapdog105

Reaction score
I noticed that my car leaks oil. Not much...just a few drops here and there, but it's annoying.
Is this normal? My builder says it is...
I just had the oil pan gasket changed, and that's where it looks like it is coming from.

droptop

Reaction score
The exhaust manifolds will cook the valve cover gaskets if you do a lot of hi way driving. They are right up against the valve cover. They do make a special gasket for the hp manifolds, but they don't hold up either.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
all of mine always have, even the 440 I rebuilt. think your old mopar leaks oil....look under an old VW! my wife's sure does, even with new seals and gaskets.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I prefer to think of it as marking their territory.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Roger That.....something my Uncle always said when his Harley leaked oil....

mcmopar

Reaction score
I had a leak at the rear main seal area right after I got the 383 back together in '03. I yanked the oil pan and took a look at it and the area where the saddle the rear main seal sits in and the block was where the leak was coming from. After cleaning the area on both sides of the saddle (left and right) with some spray carb cleaner (I used Wal-Mart - use that or Gumout but don't use STP) and gooping it up with some Ultra Blue silicone sealer, then reinstalling the pan and windage tray the leak was stopped. Make sure to use enough silicone so that there is enough to make contact with the pan gasket when the pan goes back on. Since I am using the factory windage tray I made a gasket and silicone sandwich: silicone on all of the pan mating surface, gasket, silicone on the gasket, then set the windage tray on that, silicone on the windage tray, then place the gasket, and finally, silicone on the bottom of the block on the gasket mating surface. Bolt it all up nice and snug and smear the silicone that squeezes out all along the edge of the sandwich. Let sit 24 hours and you should be leak free unless the rear main seal itself is your problem. Mine hasn't leaked since I did all this.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
"enter our hero Mr Ranger walking into his garage bright and early Saturday morning, stopped dead in his tracks by the site of a massive oil and coolant leak....."

moparmonk

Reaction score
"enter our hero Mr Ranger walking into his garage bright and early Saturday morning, stopped dead in his tracks by the site of a massive oil and coolant leak....."

LOL! I wonder if there will ever be a gallon or so of F-8 to leak on Basketcase's Car??

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder myself, but I'm still having fun with it in primer.

Back