• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doing the underside of the RR - best rust proofer?

Confederate1969

Reaction score
It looks like the underside of my RR has had some sort of rust proofing already, many years ago. The original owner didn't mention it to me, but it looks apparent. How do I get the old stuff off and then when I put new stuff on, what are your recommendations as being a good rust proofer for the underside of the car?

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I used a butane torch to heat it up and just scrape it off. It comes off very easy after you heat it. Take the carpet out first........If it were me, and you are not going to drive it in snow and salt, I would epoxy prime and then paint it. Makes the resale value better because people know you are not hiding something. It also looks better in my oppinion. :drive:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I'm with HoosierBird on this, but there are other alternatives too.

First, if you are really serious about wanting to "undercoat" it, you could use bedliner like this one. http://www.hotrodhotline.com/pr/2008/08alslinernov/

I read about using that product and it looks interesting.

The other alternative and its actually a lot easier to do would be to power wash the underside and buy a few rattle cans of rubberized spray undercoat and "freshen" it up. Its not for the "100 point" resto crowd, but it worked for my A-12 for a lot of years.

BTW, if its really thick black stuff, it might be the original undercoat. Wash it and take a look.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm with Little Johnny :lmao: on this one. If mine had not been factory undercoated it wouldnt be here today.

John69RR

Reaction score
Mine has factory undercoating on it. Didn't bother to take it off. All floor and trunk pans are stll original. I've "touched" it up like Bigjohn stated.

dobie

Reaction score
I agree, as it might be the original factory undercoatings. If that were the case, I wouldn't remove it. My car is a factory undercoat car, and I have no plans to strip it off.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice fellahs. I'll have to look at what I've got. I'm very phobic about rust, and while I've got the car coming apart, I just want to do a 100% job rather than some of the ghetto jobs I see around town. You know the ones where you've got a beefed up monster engine pushing around a rusting, deteriorating piece of junk. :rolleyes:

mcmopar

Reaction score
After you remove the old undercoating you could always have the underside media blasted and coat it with 2 coats of either POR-15 or Rust Bullet. I'd recommend the Rust Bullet personally as I've used both products and the Rust Bullet takes less prep time to apply. If you are phobic about rust POR-15 and Rust Bullet need to be your 2 best friends.

Back