• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don't scratch my bird!

RRDon

Reaction score
I have a very difficult time taking my car anywhere to show it. People come up to it and rub with their hands or lean on it or walk by too close and drag a zipper or something else sharp against it and scratch, and in some cases leave a small dent! I don't mind people looking at my car but it freaks me out and I get extremely uncomfortable when I anyone coming in contact with it or lifting their small child into it to honk the 'beep beep' horn! Last year at a local car show, dozens of kids were running wild, running between the parked cars and throwing gravel and small rocks at each other. Parents were no where to be found and no one seemed to care. And that folks is why I don't take my car to car shows anymore. Anyone else feel the same way?Bird in Driveway.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
These paint job's are not a simple fix. Two stage clear coat is not a touch up job type paint job. I feel your pain. Don't know why people have to run their hand's on a car or lean on it. Had one guy slap the fender with his hand and said an all metal car to me. I told him not to touch the car. If they knew how rare these car are and the effort it take to make them like new they would have more consideration for it. After all these are 50 year old restored car's like a fine piece of art. Nice looking runner and take car of it because no one else will.

TOMRR

Reaction score
I Feel the same way and had all of the above happen to me. I have not done a show in years and at this time in my life just like to go on long drives, I swear I could park my RR in a empty parking lot and some one would park next to it. I always have said my RR would never be a Trailer Queen but that does not mean I want it man handled by the the public.HPIM0376.JPG

nevada dan

Reaction score
I know what you mean I’ve had mine on the road for over a year l take it out every chance I get, I drive it hard up through the gears and back down, most people at work know I have it , it’s on my computer screen, they ask why don’t we see it in the parking lot? I just tell them it has too much cam to drive to work but I just don’t want door dings and scratches

ECFE1C49-CE81-4408-AB10-D6A63CF7C8E2.png

ricks_RR

Reaction score
it is tough when i go to a show and people touch . i explain to them that the oil on there skin will hurt the paint and leave prints so please dont touch with your hands just your eyes . kids well they are only as smart as there parents so be saying that i am teaching them something . here is what rides shootgun when i pull into a show so the kids come running . what bothers me is people with chains holding there keys or a dog on a leash

chickencruz 052.JPG

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
All the above just give's me chill's up and down my spine. Think need to keep cones in the trunk and caution tape to put from cone to cone and signs DO NOT CROSS THIS LINE OWNER BARE:elmer: ARM'S.

Ranger

Reaction score
A hand on the fender doesn't bother me, but kids, belt buckles, bikes and strollers are another story.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Most people at shows ive been to are respectful enough, but I see cars with the caution tape etc so I imagine it does happen. Did have 1 drongo at the track once knock on my old bonnet to see if it was steel or fibreglass. I told him not to touch my car, it wasnt cool. He just looked at me like I was the rude one.

Some people.

RonLiv

Reaction score
I tend to avoid the grocery store car show kind of thing where people who aren't car people are there for other reasons and out of curiosity come over to see what's going on. The shows I've been to everyone there has a car and seem really careful when walking about looking at the cars.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Maybe a sign like if you scratch this car you buy it and put a ridiculous price like one million on it. If they only knew all the time and money put into getting these cars back to where they where the first day off the line maybe they would have better judgement about how to approach a classic car.

cosgig

Reaction score
You mean like this? When I took the car back to pick up the original owner, he made a comment about the scratch still being there, and told me the story…..

he was Forman for the GM spring plant in Livonia, Mi., and they were coming down hard on the employees that didn’t drive GM cars. So they sent out a memo saying to lay off, and when he went out to the “bullpen” that night, the door of the car was keyed.
I love the story, and love the car, and wouldn’t have it any other way. Scratches don’t brother me, not in the least!

B1341D2A-BC27-4A4D-B99D-6F3AC79B40FC.jpeg

CDB28C62-8619-4E95-AAA1-E6239B9F8A56.jpeg

Back