• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door Hinge Pin Replacement

Smokngun

Reaction score
Hi guys, I haven't been on in a while, mainly because there has been no progress. However, the body is now in the shop, AMD sheet metal is in (both full quarters, both front fenders, inner/outer real wheel houses, trunk floor extensions, and left inner fender well), and the car is going up on the rotisserie this weekend!!!

Hinge Pin Kit.jpg

While everything is apart I figured it was a good time to replace the door hinge pins. I got the first one apart, but I'm a little perplexed. Each kit (Doorman #38382) comes with an upper and a lower hinge pin and 4 bronze bushings. The new hinge pins are original diameter, the bushings are larger than the hole diameter in the hinges.

Do I drill the hinges out so the bushings fit?

If so, which direction does the bushing flange go? It doesn't seem like there would be clearance between the "inner" and "outer" hinge for the flange to fit since there wasn't originally bushings in there.

Do I simply discard the bushings and drive the new pins in?

Hinge Pin Kit.jpg

Photon440

Reaction score
I had to drill my hinges to insert the bronze bushings. I don't remember for sure but I thought I had the flange on top. I'll take a look to see if it's visible with the door installed...

Back