• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double beep!

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Anyone out there ever seen 2 beep beep horns arranged like this?

Looks as though the20170505_150809.jpg original wire (Purple) runs into what looks like a splitter (big plug into silver box).
Out of this connection then come 2 green wires run to 2 separate beep beep horns.

My original thought was that it was some kind of relay/delay so you could just hold the horn down and get the correct spacing between the beeps without having to manually press the horn twice.

The horn sounds pretty pissweak at the moment so I'm trying to figure out if 1 or both of the horns is gone, or whether this splitter is the problem. May even be the connection at the wheel as some points sound as though they make better contact better than others when pressing the horn.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Cheers!

20170505_150724.jpg

20170505_150809.jpg

Last edited:

droptop

Reaction score
Road Runners only had the single horn, but it is the same wiring harness for all cars. So, one lead is only used on the RR. Someone just installed a second horn and used the existing wire to plug it in. Now I am curious as to the sound of the double beep. I may have to look up another horn and see what it sounds like.

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I stutters LOL Yeah one wire should be dangling in the wind as said above

dmartin

Reaction score
Yeah the chargers had two horns if you bought a new harnass it has the wires for two horns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mac

What ?
Reaction score
that is definitely an attempt to try an cheat the beep beep sound. i would remove the extra horn and see what it sounds like.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Havent had a chance to test out if its slightly delayed or just for extra volume. once the engine goes back in ill give it a whirl.Should only bee a couple of weeks

dmartin

Reaction score
You may want to clean inside the steering wheel the terminals may not be making good enough contact

dmartin

Reaction score
My horn will shock you if you have your arm out the window and blow the horn

Ranger

Reaction score
Mine had two horns on it when I bought it, but mounted slightly differently. I suspected one was an add on. After a while the sound became very weak and anemic so I removed one horn. Now it's back to normal.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Road Runners only had the single horn, but it is the same wiring harness for all cars. So, one lead is only used on the RR. Someone just installed a second horn and used the existing wire to plug it in. Now I am curious as to the sound of the double beep. I may have to look up another horn and see what it sounds like.

Ive got s apare wire coming frm that splitter, which is connected to the second horn. However, Ive also got another wire just dangling BEFORE the splitter. It looks like its paired with the wire powering the horn. Whats that wire for?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
There are two green wires from the horn relay to the horns. Both were used on the GTX, Satellite and Belvedere but only one on the Roadrunner

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Year One told me years ago they were working on a relay to make the Beep BeeP sound...never heard any more about it.

dmartin

Reaction score
I think they were pulling your beep beep leg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
they may have...I ordered a horn from them because they had the lowest price, it was on back order for almost a year before I told them to stick it and haven't dealt with them since.( noticed I ignored the interference of the Grey Poop Boy)

RKNRLR

Reaction score
got the original am radio, but its not functioning at the moment. also got a late-model stereo wired up that lives under the passenger seat. I notice when i start up for the first couple of minutes it likes to cut out for no reason, but once i get going it settles down. Im thinking that i might have a funky alternator?

Back