• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DP4B intake opinion's

cj69RR

Reaction score
Have a chance to get a DP4B intake for my mostly stock 69. 383 with a 4 speed. Using MSD box and distributor. Has a little bigger than stock cam and still running stock cast iron intake.

cj69RR

Reaction score
Thanks, I've read most of the articles but was looking for more of real world opinions. But it looks like it's well worth it to get from what I've read everywhere.

cj69RR

Reaction score
Well looks like I'm going to go take a look at one on Sunday and most likely buy it. I'll keep you all posted.

mcmopar

Reaction score
The DP-4B is a very nice intake. I've had one on my road runner years ago the first time I owned the car. The engine was stock at that time and it ran really well. You can make it work better in the higher rpm range if you cut down the center divider until it is 1/2" above the floor of the intake. This will cost a little bottom end but it won't be all that bad. I'd say the DP-4B is easily a match for the Performer RPM, coming in just a little shy to it but for the price you just can't beat the DP-4B. I have one sitting in my garage right now and may swap the Performer RPM on my car now out for it. We'll see.

cj69RR

Reaction score
Well I picked it up today and just needs cleaned up and a coat of paint. Here I. The next couple days it will get a trip to the media blaster.

CompSyn

Reaction score

Meep-Meep

Reaction score
The DP4B is a good old intake and won't hurt you. However, the stock intake isn't horrible either and depending how your motor is built you are not likely to notice a huge difference. This is coming from a guy that runs 12.80's with a factory iron intake and a .455 / 272 cam in a 440. I have a DP4B for my 383 and will run it on my 68 as a day two mod. I also went high 12's with that intake on my old 383 in the 68 RR, but the torker out performed it on the track (12.65 @ 107 vs. 12.98 @ 103).

cj69RR

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Another reason for the aluminum intake is for heat transfer and trying to keep the carb a little cooler.

CompSyn

Reaction score
The DP4B is a good old intake and won't hurt you. However, the stock intake isn't horrible either and depending how your motor is built you are not likely to notice a huge difference. This is coming from a guy that runs 12.80's with a factory iron intake and a .455 / 272 cam in a 440. I have a DP4B for my 383 and will run it on my 68 as a day two mod. I also went high 12's with that intake on my old 383 in the 68 RR, but the torker out performed it on the track (12.65 @ 107 vs. 12.98 @ 103).

Yeah, I've heard Chrysler engineers did a great job with the stock iron intakes. Those are respectable ETs out of the 383.

A few reasons why the DP4B is attractive to me.

1) No choke housing to interfere with Holley vacuum secondary linkage. Yes, one could use a spacer on a iron intake, but this way works too.

2) When painted engine color, has a factory fresh look to it.

3) Has a Chrysler Direct Connection part number on it; old school coolness.

4) Weighs less than an iron intake.

5) Better heat transfer than iron.

6) On an typical street/strip iron headed engine, DP4B performs comparatively well to many modern intakes. Aluminum heads become the game changer where the Performer RPM, for example, makes more sense.

7) In testing, the DP4B made the same peak torque 300rpms sooner than the Torker, while the Torker made 12 more peak horsepower. For some builds, the peak torque sooner in the RPM range might make more sense for the wee-eighty-three.

Back