• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drain PLug

Ranger

Reaction score
What kind of a drain plug do you guys have ('69 383)? It's been too long and as you know, the memory is the second thing to go, but mine is a plug, like in the differential as opposed to a standard bolt type with a flange. I don't recall that being factory, but as I said, it's been a looong time.

Ranger

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid you'd say. Hope some gorilla didn't strip the threads and use a coarse threaded plug in it's place. I'll pull the plug and see what I have and replace it with a proper drain plug.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well...if it's not leaking......might just hang with the plug till you need to pull the engine for something.

Ranger

Reaction score
I don't plan on any engine pulling. Those days are over. I'll look for a new one when I change the oil for the season.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
drain plug for both big and small block is 1/2-20 x .33" lg. hex head bolt and steel gasket. Phosphate finish prior to paint uses a 7/8th wrench and has a 1" collar with a dished head.

pro-streeter

Reaction score
drain plug for both big and small block is 1/2-20 x .33" lg. hex head bolt and steel gasket. Phosphate finish prior to paint uses a 7/8th wrench and has a 1" collar with a dished head.

The plug in the rear end is NPT, pipe thread. The plug in the pan is SAE 1/2-20 as stated by 69hemibeep. Not the same thread at all. You could have a bit of a problem. It could clean up if you use a thread chase. Good luck!

Ranger

Reaction score

Upon closer inspection, I believe your description nailed it. One less thing to replace.

Back