• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drums vs Disc

Collin

Reaction score
Im currently running manual brakes with new installed drums in the rear. Havent gotten to the front yets. Curious on if I should convert the front end to disc, or to leave them the drums. I feel like if I had power brakes that it wouldnt be as much of a problem. Anyone have any input? What do you guys have on your cars, opinions on them??

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Collin said:
Im currently running manual brakes with new installed drums in the rear. Havent gotten to the front yets. Curious on if I should convert the front end to disc, or to leave them the drums. I feel like if I had power brakes that it wouldnt be as much of a problem. Anyone have any input? What do you guys have on your cars, opinions on them??
It may depend more on how you plan on driving your car. I have manual with drums all the way around, and I have no problems stopping the car. But then I usually don't run it so hard that I have to make real quick stops. But the few times I've had to, I've had no issues! I have a good pedal, with no fade, and most important, it stays straight! If you're a hard driver, then it's something you may want to consider.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Manual drums on mine with no issues, however, I haven't driven it enough to know if they fade or not.......

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've been running manual drums since '84, with no problems. wouldn't mind discs, just there's usually something else I need more.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
I've been running manual drums since '84, with no problems. wouldn't mind discs, just there's usually something else I need more.
Dosen't it always seem to be that way?

mcmopar

Reaction score
I had manual drums on my 1st road runner and they were fine in normal driving. There was one time back in the late '70's when I was "enthusiastically" driving it from stop light to stop light and I had to jump on the brakes hard. I ended up half way out into the intersection (luckily it was a small side street) and they were fading fast!

I have the factory power disc/drum setup on my present runner and I must say I prefer this setup. These brakes can really haul you down in a flat hurry! I don't know how the aftermarket non-power discs are, though. Moparmoose set up a non-power disc setup on his old 66 Coronet (swapped from a '71 Charger) and it seemed to work pretty well.

moparmoose3

Reaction score
hey buddy. i still have them. i swapped them into the roadrunner and have no problems. i love the non power disc brakes.
mcmopar said:
I had manual drums on my 1st road runner and they were fine in normal driving. There was one time back in the late '70's when I was "enthusiastically" driving it from stop light to stop light and I had to jump on the brakes hard. I ended up half way out into the intersection (luckily it was a small side street) and they were fading fast!

I have the factory power disc/drum setup on my present runner and I must say I prefer this setup. These brakes can really haul you down in a flat hurry! I don't know how the aftermarket non-power discs are, though. Moparmoose set up a non-power disc setup on his old 66 Coronet (swapped from a '71 Charger) and it seemed to work pretty well.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless it's an original Hemi or A12 car that came with front drums and you're worried about protecting your investment then there is no reason not to upgrade to disks. I hate drum brakes. I drive them hard and I want them to have just as much whoa (or more) as I want them to have go... If you run a healthy camshaft (long duration and or long overlap - I.E. little or no vacuum) go the manual disk route...if the cam you choose will support a power booster then that is the way to go...

:jester:
Been there, done that...

droptop

Reaction score
My '69 GTX has the power 4 piston disc on front and drum rear. I must say, this is a very good combination. I am with A12 on this one, when you need to stop, you need to stop. No fading, pulling to one side or the other, etc. This will be the setup that I go with on the droptop as well.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
droptop said:
My '69 GTX has the power 4 piston disc on front and drum rear. I must say, this is a very good combination. I am with A12 on this one, when you need to stop, you need to stop. No fading, pulling to one side or the other, etc. This will be the setup that I go with on the droptop as well.
Hey Harold, how is droptop coming along?

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
manual disc front and drums back.....went to order them and the wife said ....why do you need disc brakes....i said to STOP

droptop

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
droptop said:
Hey Harold, how is droptop coming along?

very slowly

Collin

Reaction score
I found someone who offered me a set of 1970-74 Challenger disc brakes and spindles. Will these fit my RR or no?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
IIRC they are lighter as well.

Sure, with a set of 9" A-Body drums that the drag racers love so much...but you're probably not saving too much when you're talking about the 11" X 3" jobbies on the front of my A12... :lol:
I could probably LOSE a few pounds by going to a Wilwood conversion with aluminum calipers and hubs...

:jester:
ACME

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I thought the rotors were heavier than the drums? Then the wheel cylinder and other parts are lighter than a caliper. Stock for stock. Wilwood throws that all out the window.

Collin

Reaction score
So I made it to the junkyard and picked up the K frame with spindles, rotors, calipers, steering box, and upper and lower shock mounts for $150. Took it all apart, pretty good shape. Im going to sell everything but the spindles......sending calipers back for core. Going to put the heavy duty front discs on the car, but this will mean I have to upgrade to a 15" wheel to accomodate for the bigger rotors. Need to instal spindles, calipers, dust shields, rotors, proportioning valve and new master cylinder. Ill post pics later on of how the parts look now, and then once I get everything started later....

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Collin said:
So I made it to the junkyard and picked up the K frame with spindles, rotors, calipers, steering box, and upper and lower shock mounts for $150. Took it all apart, pretty good shape. Im going to sell everything but the spindles......sending calipers back for core. Going to put the heavy duty front discs on the car, but this will mean I have to upgrade to a 15" wheel to accomodate for the bigger rotors. Need to instal spindles, calipers, dust shields, rotors, proportioning valve and new master cylinder. Ill post pics later on of how the parts look now, and then once I get everything started later....
We are going to hold you to that picture thing........ :D

Back