• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock dual plane intakes

mtdrydock

Reaction score
the B-block (361-400) Performer's looks almost exactly like a DP4B (with EGR and choke mounts) in reverse.
hrdp_0712_09_z+manifold+edelbrock_dp4b.jpg
a20791d12cdcc39b77a0e8_l.jpg

mtdrydock

Reaction score
First off, I am by no means an expert...

Lately I was trying to pick a good dual plane intake for my stock 440 and did some searching in various forums and found many varying views and opinions. While many recomended the CH4B, others would claim it was nothing more that an aluminum version of a stock 4bbl intake. Others reasoned that the performer must be better than a CH4B because the CH4B is discontinued and old technology.

So I browsed, and noted, reviewed a few tests in Mopar Muscle and came to the conclusion that the CH4B is a slight step up from the performer in performance terms. I think the Pics here will show definate differences in all three.

First is a pic of a Stock 67-69 4bbl vs Edelbrock Performer. You can see similar runner sizes between the two, but the performers seems to have a more flow friendly layout.
StockvsPerformer.jpg

Next up is the stock intake vs a CH4B. The CH4B has what appear to larger runners and sweeping runner design vs the stock piece. The CH4B also loses the stock choke mount.
StockvsCH4B.jpg

finally let us look at the Performer vs CH4B. The CH4B appears to have larger runners and a slightly more swept and less angular runner layout but loses the stock choke mount and EGR mount. The Performer also will accept at spreadbore carb without modification but the CH4B does have enough meat to allow it to be "hogged out" to accept one as well if so desired.
CH4BvsPerformer.jpg

mcmopar

Reaction score
In the top pic you will notice that the runner layout is reversed. Cylinder #1 on the DP-4B is fed from the lower bank while the #1 cylinder on the Performer is fed from the upper bank.
Here is a link I have posted many times that shows a direct comparison between many 383 intakes. This page shows a direct comparison between the DP-4B and the Performer. You can browse other pages to find the Performer RPM results as well. The DP-4B is a great intake for a mild build.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_0712_mopar_intake_manifold_comparo/edelbrock.html

mtdrydock

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
In the top pic you will notice that the runner layout is reversed. Cylinder #1 on the DP-4B is fed from the lower bank while the #1 cylinder on the Performer is fed from the upper bank.

That was what I was trying to say in the original post. The runners look almost identical but reversed. If you turned the one or the other around the runners would be nearly identical.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
For a RB, there is but one choice- Perfromer RPM.

Not sure that is the same for a B engine. I liked the HSD I had on this car. Was SOMEWHAT thinking it may have cut the MPG back from a OEM intake. Never was certain.

Back