• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical issue...why she don't start?

cosgig

Reaction score
Every now and again, I’ll get nothing when I try to crank my car over, but I’m sure it’s the starter relay, so I carry a screwdriver to jump the lugs. It’ll work fine for weeks, then nothing. Haven’t gotten around to changing it yet.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
When you hit the lugs with a screw driver you are bypassing the switch. Sounds like the switch or wiring from the switch to the relay might be the culprit. I'd check the wiring first.

70PinkPanther

Reaction score
That is the truth for sure. They told me the other day 14 dollar's and change for apart and said your braking me just kidding I said. :lol:
Russ, I have a starting problem I’m hoping you can help me with. I have a 70 RR, 440. Took her for a ride to put gas, ran great, got home , shut her off, 10 min later she won’t start. Looks to have spark at the coil.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
First what dose the spark from the coil look like. Should be a fat and blue spark. Have you checked to see if the carb is getting fuel. Might have a vapor lock or something like that. Sorry for the luck. Check fuel filter for trash. Pull a plug wire and check for spark their also. I cranked mine with the old coil. It ran fine but once it got hot the car shut off. So bought me a new coil and problem solved. A coil can drive you crazy for sure. Let me know how it turn's out. Russ.

70PinkPanther

Reaction score
I get a spark from the coil, just not at the plug.I replaced coil and module under cap.....nothing.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Have you checked the pick up coil. Had a problem with a 318 in my dodge charger motor ran like junk. Not good fire it was my Reluctor It was burned off on the point's about half of them where gone. Hope this will help. Summit has those part's.

Back