• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical Question

zupanj

Reaction score
I want to change my alternator output lead to the battery stud on the starter relay as described in several articles. I will be using 10 ga wire with a 14 ga fusible link. My question is this, do you just leave the wire that is connected to now disconnected or are you adding a second terminal to the alternator output stud?

Jim S.

Reaction score
The wire on the alt. batt. terminal goes through the bulkhead then, to the fuse box, ignition switch, light switch switch, and through the amp meter back through the bulkhead and to the starter relay. What you are doing with that new wire is removing the current load through the amp meter and allowing the battery to charge more efficiently but, you are also removing power distribution to all your systems so the wire on the alt. now has to be re-routed from the starter relay.
This page and part two at the bottom explain it pretty well.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... uges.shtml

When I fixed mine I replaced every contact on both sides of the bulkhead with bigger ones soldering and crimping them with the exception of the two amp meter contacts. I drilled out those holes and ran straight 10 g wire from the alt. to the amp meter and back out to the battery leaving a little extra under the dash so I could still unplug the bulkhead. It is not noticeable. I also did some work internally on the amp meter to make sure it was solid. I wanted a working amp meter without a fire.

zupanj

Reaction score
I am familiar with the MAD site. I am not wanting to bypass the bulkhead connections. I just want to run a wire from the alternator output stud to the batt stud on the starter relay. This is described at the end of the Hot Wire paragraph in the link below. I have also seen it in several other places. My question simply is does one run a second wire to the starter relay or do you disconnect the existing wire when you make the change.

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html

Jim S.

Reaction score
O.K. I see. It will work either way. I would think most guys leave the original wire hooked up because that way the voltage supplied to the switches won't be coming through the amp meter which probably wouldn't make much difference anyway. (very low shunt resistance)

A31PKG

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
O.K. I see. It will work either way. I would think most guys leave the original wire hooked up because that way the voltage supplied to the switches won't be coming through the amp meter which probably wouldn't make much difference anyway. (very low shunt resistance)

:yeathat:

It's basically what's called a "companion" (or parallel) wire, no harm leaving the original wire(s) connected in the circuit.

Back