• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic ignition conversion engine harness for 440-6

gene69rr

Reaction score
I bought a electronic ignition conversion engine harness for 69 b-body roadrunner 440-6 from year one. Since year one does not label their cables of where to how to hook up the harness. Can someone tell me how to hook the harness up or if they have a diagram. Since this is a different type of harness would the service manual be the same.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Go over to the reference section and you will find an on line service manual with a wiring diagram, that maybe all you will need.

Last edited:

gene69rr

Reaction score
I have the service manual with the wiring diagrams, but it don't say anything about 440-6 wiring. Would the 440-6 wiring be different.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The harness should be the same, some one will chime in on the electronic portion I haven't mess with it

gene69rr

Reaction score
I will have to check the color of the new harness with the service manual. But in the meantime maybe someone has done this before and can tell me how to do it.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The only difference in the 6bbl harness would be the idle stop solenoid. The rest should follow the FSM for color code.

What I would do is lay the harness out in the engine compartment and everything will pretty much fall into position. The ignition is on a plug, so that's a no brainer. If it's a dual ballast resistor, that will only plug in one way, if it's a single, it doesn't matter which side goes into which.

The only thing I can't remember (or look up) is the other end of the idle stop wire. It hooks to a 12 volt source, and I believe that's on the coil. My A12 was missing the solenoid, so I never hooked that up.

Big John

Reaction score
That's for an alternator with two field connections (better called an isolated field alternator) and a 70 and up electronic regulator. He didn't say that is what he's using.

gene69rr

Reaction score
I am planning on using the MP electronic conversion distributor and orange box. If I am right, I think that I have to install a 70's later alternator. I didn't buy them yet but those are the plans.

gene69rr

Reaction score
Electronic conversion engine harness for 440-6

:courage::courage:
car look good gene

The car is all painted, I am now working on the engine compartment. I have to rebuild the 440 engine and I have to do the exhaust system and interior. I read on a couple of other threads on another site that MP is phasing out their ignition electronic conversion kit. If that is true what electronic conversion kit do you recommend that isn't too costly.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I'm sure others will chime in. I took the electronic stuff off mine and went back to points.

1969beepbeep

Reaction score
I also am in the process of installing a new engine harness from Yearone that is for electronic ignition conversion. In addition to the orange box and electronic distributor you will need a 1975ish four pin ballist resitor, 1970 or later voltage regulator, and a 1970 or later alternator with two (2) field terminals. The electrical connnector that connects to the ballast resistor is keyed so it is easy to connect. Here is a link to an electrical schematic for connecting ballast resistor, distributor, and ECU box: http://www.chargerr.com/Ignition/mopar_5pin_ign.jpg. I found that the best electrical schematic for connecting the wiring harness is for a 1975 Plymouth.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I'm using the Pertronics systems in my cars. It's all in the distributor so there is no box involved and just one wire running to the dizzy. They have several different models for how you intend to run your car.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
I'm using the Pertronics systems in my cars. It's all in the distributor so there is no box involved and just one wire running to the dizzy. They have several different models for how you intend to run your car.

:yeathat: and I'm still running the pre 70 regulator the eletronic type

modernistsouth

Reaction score
I also am in the process of installing a new engine harness from Yearone that is for electronic ignition conversion. In addition to the orange box and electronic distributor you will need a 1975ish four pin ballist resitor, 1970 or later voltage regulator, and a 1970 or later alternator with two (2) field terminals. The electrical connnector that connects to the ballast resistor is keyed so it is easy to connect. Here is a link to an electrical schematic for connecting ballast resistor, distributor, and ECU box: http://www.chargerr.com/Ignition/mopar_5pin_ign.jpg. I found that the best electrical schematic for connecting the wiring harness is for a 1975 Plymouth.

Now I know why my cousin stole my voltage regulator. Damn.

Big John

Reaction score
I've used MSD ignitions in three cars now with excellent results.

gene69rr

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has used the electronic conversion kits from summit, jegs, or mancini where they use their own distributor. Would these systems be better than MP electronic conversion kits.

Back