• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic Ignition "Orange Box."

Russ Hood

Reaction score
My car wont start and has electronic ignition. Is there a way to check and see if it is bad? I looked on classic industries to buy one but it looks like it comes with the distributor and I dont need that.

Suggestions appreciated........

nevada dan

Reaction score
I keep a spare just for that reason , they dont cost that much , cheaper than a tow

V.R.D

Reaction score
these new orange box are junk not made by mopar. go to Napa and get there best with warranty or get the revanator box.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Mine has blue and silver and I ordered the orange for a 383

halifaxhops

Reaction score
I read that the different color boxes are for different RPM range. Like the blue and silver is that right.
Yes there are a bunch of different ECU's. I have some allso if needed NORS or NOS. These charts are for Mopar OEM, aftermarket boxes they do not appy to.
ecu chart 2.pngecu III.pngECUApplication.jpgecuII.jpg

mac

What ?
Reaction score
Russ69Runner said:
I read that the different color boxes are for different RPM range. Like the blue and silver is that right.
Yes there are a bunch of different ECU's. I have some also if needed NORS or NOS. These charts are for Mopar OEM, aftermarket boxes they do not apply.

halifaxhops

Reaction score
I have not been on here in a while. I have been testing the actual RPM that the boxes I have come across run on my mock up. Tell you what having the right balllast resistor makes a big difference.

halifaxhops

Reaction score
This thread we beat the hell out of ECU's. Tons of info in here just jumps around alot. Biggets thing covered is how to tel a good box from a cheap knockoff which are abundant now.

Last edited:

V.R.D

Reaction score
back in the day it was black 5000 rev limit orange was 5500 rev limit chrome was 6500 and gold was 9000 if i remember right

halifaxhops

Reaction score
There are a bunch of Knockoff MP orange boxes floating around out there lately biggest clue is if it has a real transistor or not on top.

Last edited:
Back