• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

electronic ignition problem

beepbeepbill

Reaction score
69' roadrunner 440 6bbl 4 speed
trying to install new wiring harness and electronic ignition and having problem with getting 12v to coil after starting. Engine dies when ignition switch is in run position. We cannot figure out how to keep power to coil after key goes from starting to run position. We have done away with ballast since using electronic ignition...
Any help is appreciated.
Thinking may have to change ignition switch????? Didnt have this problem with my 66 Cobra.

Bill

beepbeepbill

Reaction score
No, it had the original ignition using the ballast. It all started with a grounding problem, and I could not chase it down. So I replaced all the wiring with new. and while I was at it....... gee, wouldn't it be nice to have electronic ignition.. how hard could that be.. lol

Ranger

Reaction score
If this is what you are using (firewall, left side), you still need the ballast.

Road Runner 2   383 Motor.jpg

rockdog2112

Reaction score
My 69 was converted to an older Chrysler type electronic ignition from 1971 from what I can tell and it still has ballast resistor also. If that's done, you won't be able to use a "69" alternator though. It will have to be 71 or newer. It took me a week to figure that out. A couple of melted wires too.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
If you have replaced the harness and it was working before you replaced the harness, I would assume that the problem is not the ignition switch.

First, check the connections for the dark blue "run" wire at the regulator and the firewall connector. With the key in "run", you should have voltage at the end of that wire where it would connect to the ballast resistor (if you had one). I'm assuming that you have some sort of jumper from the blue "run" wire to the coil or to the brown "start" wire.

If no voltage at these points, go under the dash and check voltage at the dark blue wire at the back of the connector. Refer to your FSM for the location on the plug.

My money is on a bad connection at the firewall connector.

Back