• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic Ignition

toms69rr

Reaction score
I am going to replace my point setup with electronic ignition.
Been looking over the MSD system. kind of pricey.
Also been looking at the pertronix system. again kind of pricey
I can get the Mopar Performance for about half the cost of the MSD system, and pertronix system
In your guys opinions lets hear the Pros and Cons, between the three.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I have had great success with the MP setup on both my '71 440 Charger SE and on the road runner. The only drawback to the MP setup is the orange box. Jerry (moparmoose3) and I have both had failures of the orang control box. I happened to have a spare Borg Warner box that came with a bunch of spare parts in the trunk of the car when I got it back. Its been on the car 4-5 years now without one single problem.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tom, if you opt to go for the MP conversion set-up and want to save a few bucks you can order Summit Racing's kit. It is EXACTLY the same as the MP kit but without the MP markings - BOTH are currently made by Mallory. I have bought a couple and had good luck with them...although the air gap on both was off and the cars wouldn't fire until I correctly set it.

Ray

Roadcuda

Reaction score
FWIW, when I got rid of the points in my car I found an Accell pointless ignition kit on sale from Mancini for $60. There is no external box to hide, and the only difference is that it has three wires coming out of the distributor instead of the original one wire. It was easy to change and has given me absolutely no trouble.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I've been running MSD's for a number of years on different vehicles. I love the one on my Roadrunner. It'll even fire a fouled plug and the RPM limiter is a great option.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
How much is Petronix now? I used to convert cars for about 100 bucks with them, worked killer.

I do like the MP style kits for ease of parts getting.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
If you'll watch eBay, you'll get one for cheap. I paid 75.00 for a kit, new in the box. Although it does have the orange box so I may throw another one in the glove box to be safe. :thumbsup:

moparmoose3

Reaction score
i've tried both the MP orange box and the chrome box. if you go the MP route do away with the orange box and get the chrome box or like john the borg warner box , it works great. right now i have the MSD6AL on mine. the only reason it's there i rented a room and the guy owed me money. ta-da. it came also with the rpm control box. :banana: :banana: :drive:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
moparmoose3 said:
i've tried both the MP orange box and the chrome box. if you go the MP route do away with the orange box and get the chrome box or like john the borg warner box , it works great. right now i have the MSD6AL on mine. the only reason it's there i rented a room and the guy owed me money. ta-da. it came also with the rpm control box. :banana: :banana: :drive:
You use the MP distibutor with the 6AL? I just happen to have a 6AL.

mcmopar

Reaction score
If you get it to work help Jerry out - he's had nothing but trouble from that setup.

dobie

Reaction score
You know, it's funny. Every one has always said to use the chrome box vs. the orange box. My experience has been just the opposite. I bought a chrome box cause it's so highly recommended. However, my car ran like crap with it. Didn't start as easy, and ran rough. She hesitated and jerked, bucked, and bounced in all gears at all speeds. Put the orange box back on, and absolutely no problems.

Maybe I did something wrong.....????

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
dobie said:
You know, it's funny. Every one has always said to use the chrome box vs. the orange box. My experience has been just the opposite. I bought a chrome box cause it's so highly recommended. However, my car ran like crap with it. Didn't start as easy, and ran rough. She hesitated and jerked, bucked, and bounced in all gears at all speeds. Put the orange box back on, and absolutely no problems.

Maybe I did something wrong.....????
Yep, you did............you listened to everyone else......... :lmao:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Its whatever works for your setup. I won't use the Orange Box anymore but that is because I've had trouble with them. The Chrome Box is for a hotter setup and works well on Jerry's car. Go figure.
Jerry - tell them about stumping the MP rep at the Garlits show concerning your Orange Box troubles :cheers:

moparstuart

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Its whatever works for your setup. I won't use the Orange Box anymore but that is because I've had trouble with them. The Chrome Box is for a hotter setup and works well on Jerry's car. Go figure.
Jerry - tell them about stumping the MP rep at the Garlits show concerning your Orange Box troubles :cheers:
I tryed the chrome box and it was too hot burnt up my coil twice , coil wire also , and my new solid state smaller voltage regulator fried , So I also went back to the orange box on my 69 .

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
moparmoose3 said:
You use the MP distibutor with the 6AL? I just happen to have a 6AL.

Yep!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
now I don't know as much about electronics as the pig does about Sunday......my car had a chrome box on it when bought. It's now on my truck. I ASSUME this over the counter $25 chrome box isn't the one you guys are talking about.. :huh:

mcmopar

Reaction score
The Borg-Warner box I use is chrome so it might not be. There should be a logo on it somewhere to let you know who made it.

Back