• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic Ignition

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
[quote="Big John":ry7irdil]You use the MP distibutor with the 6AL? I just happen to have a 6AL.

Yep!
Is the wiring pretty straight forward on it?[/quote:ry7irdil]

Should be a cable off the box for magnetic pickup. You might have to buy an adapter cable, but it does work quite nicely. Check out the MSD site for wiring diagrams. You will also be able to ditch the ballast resister with that setup.

toms69rr

Reaction score
Ok Guys
I went with the Mopar performance unit. So where is the best placement for the ECU?
Is it the firewall or inner fender well? Let see some pics.
And what is the best way to run the wiring?
I figure I ask, it might head off so problems that I am not aware of, see how most of you have done this before and I have not.
From what I see it is pretty straight forward on wiring.
Unit should be here by the weekend, so I will be putting it on.
Any information is appreciated.
Little tricks always come in handy
Also did you have to change your plug gap?

Tom

mcmopar

Reaction score
I have run my plugs at .040" gap but usually leave it at the factory recommended .035"

When I got the car back it had been converted over to the elec. ignition by a previous owner. When I had my Charger I mounted the ECU in approx. the same location. It needs to be away from heat sources (in particular headers or exhaust manifolds). As you can see from the pics my firewall is quite "busy" so this was the best place to put it. You may also consider mounting it on the inside of the firewall but beware - you need adequate air circulation for cooling or you may burn out the ECU.
[attachment=1:3hd45uxc]ECU 001.jpg[/attachment:3hd45uxc]
[attachment=0:3hd45uxc]ECU 002.jpg[/attachment:3hd45uxc]

zupanj

Reaction score
I have had MSD boxes and distributors on a couple of my cars but not my Mopar. I loved them, they work great and they will fire anything.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Be sure you ground the ECU REALLY well. If you don't, expect trouble down the road. i just go ahead and run a dedicated ground to the box to cover that base for good. A little rust and you get all sorts of weird problems.

Back