• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronics Gone Wild - HELP!

Ranger

Reaction score
I had two. Threw the hand held on away because the tach was off, but still have the bigger box type. That said, I think I fixed it. I pulled and cleaned the grounds on the voltage regulator, ECU and tach. Started it and the tach was dead steady. Just got back from a test drive and still steady as a rock. :banana: Only problem is I am not sure which one it was, but the seeing as the tach was having the problem and it's ground was the more questionable of them all I am suspecting it was the culprit.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Let's hope this ends this thread.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
P.S.
I also have people telling me to use an alternator with a built in regulator and do away with the new one on the firewall and bypass the "fire prone" ammeter system.

And.. Those are people you don't want to listen to.....

Ranger

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm REALLY confused on that subject. I have heard compelling arguments (and personal accounts) both ways. For now I'm leaving it as it came from the factory, but still a bit concerned, if not worried. Wish I understood it better.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
then listen to Big John...he knows his stuff and won't feed you BS

Ranger

Reaction score
Now THAT is good to hear and makes me feel even better about the factory ammeter set up.

moparchris

Reaction score
I definitely suspect the ECU you just replaced and definitely the VR you just replaced with new and its definitely not the tach which is the oldest of the three and is a chinese made repop. Cause we all know that Chinese made tachs are perfect every time. I recommend a one wire alternator (chevy) and a new complete aftermarket wire harness with a switch box like racecars have.

Ranger

Reaction score
I definitely suspect the ECU you just replaced and definitely the VR you just replaced with new and its definitely not the tach which is the oldest of the three and is a chinese made repop. Cause we all know that Chinese made tachs are perfect every time. I recommend a one wire alternator (chevy) and a new complete aftermarket wire harness with a switch box like racecars have.
It was the tach ground. See post #81

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
:lol::lol::lol:

Back