• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

emergency brake

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
since i"ve had my car i always had to pull on the cable under the car to get the pedal all the way up.....is there something built into the pedal unit that pulls the cable instead of my foot and pulling the cable underneath??

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
since i"ve had my car i always had to pull on the cable under the car to get the pedal all the way up.....is there something built into the pedal unit that pulls the cable instead of my foot and pulling the cable underneath??

Mine works somewhat in the reverse of yours, George. In order to get it to engage I have to push the release lever down to get it to lock...we probably could build one good unit between the two of us... :lol:

Ray

george68hemirr

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:

plus the pull deal if i pull it it doesnt spring in to lock it....it stays out

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I didn't think there was a return spring at the pedal, but wasn't sure.

Its one of the following or a combination. The brake cables could be streched. There is an adjustment where the cable splits in front of the rear wheels. The cable could also be frozen (very common in northeastern cars). If its streched too much or frozen, it will need to be replaced.

The cable hooks to a lever in the rear brakes that needs to work freely. The lever works a link between the two brake shoes that needs to be in place.

There is a spring on the cable where it goes through the backing plate that could be broken.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
its all loose and working....dont want to tension it up where the shoes are really dragging....i pull the handle up then lean out the door and pull on the cable which has a spring on it ....the foot pad comes up then i push the handle down and its locked in....i thought there was a spring that pulled up the foot pedal besides the cable spring under the car

mac

What ?
Reaction score
here is an old assembly i used to have
IMG_0109.jpg
IIRC there are 2 springs. one on the release handle and one wound spring on the pedal pivot to return the foot lever once the release handle is pulled. doesn't that sound right?

george68hemirr

Reaction score
mac said:
here is an old assembly i used to have
IMG_0109.jpg
IIRC there are 2 springs. one on the release handle and one wound spring on the pedal pivot to return the foot lever once the release handle is pulled. doesn't that sound right?

where is that second spring....its on the backside?....do you have another shot of the backside

mac

What ?
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
where is that second spring....its on the backside?....do you have another shot of the backside

george, i am sorry. i am probably thinking of the the spring that is on the pawl for the racheting gear on the pedal.

Back