• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine compartment clean up... update

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Well Im starting to make some progress now. Here are some pictures... No comments on the "chevy treatment", There was no way I was going to be able to match the color of the car in the compartment, so i just freshened up the black.....

I sure hope I rememeber were everything goes..... I cant wait for the black to dry so I can see the fresh orange against it..... this have been easier with the engine out.... :yesnod:

More to come once I get some more time to work on it.....

mcmopar

Reaction score
Actually you may have been able to match it closer than you think. I took my front valence panel (the one between the bumber and grille) to a local auto paint supply store and asked if they could match it (since the car isn't the original F8 green) and then put it in aerosol spray cans. They said "yes we can but you have to buy a case (12 cans) of it." It cost me $178 but the engine bay, bottom of the hood and stock wheels came out looking great. When I tell people that the engine bay and bottom of the hood were done with spray cans they can't believe it. I wish I had known you were contemplating painting the engine bay because I'd have told you this earlier. In any case, I'm sure it will look nice in black and maybe one day in the future you can follow my lead. I did my previous car ('71 Charger SE) with black in the engine bay simply because the guy I bought it from had it painted in a Chevy light blue and then sprayed a couple of light coats of clear pearl over it which made it impossible to match. It came out looking nice.
teardown-08.jpg
DSCF0008.jpg
rr-05.jpg
Sig01.jpg

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
a6t9vette said:
No comments on the "chevy treatment"

Well, now that just takes all of the fun right out of it... :lol:

Looks good - nice job. :thumbsup:

I'll keep an eye out for the updates. :cheers:

:jester:
ACME

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
since the car isn't the original F8 green It cost me $178

Would have been like $4 if you had gone with F8... :lmao: :pot: :lmao:

ACME

mcmopar

Reaction score
Well, it was "F8" but not Ivy Green Metallic. It seems PPG has an F8 Jade Green Metallic which is what the car was shot with back in the mid '90's. While it isn't a perfect match with the color on the car it is close enough that it is very hard to distinguish between the two colors. The hood stripes help with the deception since the green on the inner fenders does not come into direct contact with the green on the car since the black hood stripes are there.
Wise guy. :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Lookin good :thumbsup: I also have used the spray can thing on my jeep. :cheers:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I also used rattle can paint when I cleaned up the engine compartment on my Barracuda. I got the paint from Paint Scratch, it wasn't a perfect match but was very close.

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the body color spray..... If/when I ever need to pull the block I may try that, but with the block in Im not sure I would have been able to do that....

As for today, I did get some more time to work on the car, and got to start putting some pieces of the puzzel back together. So here what she looked like at the end of todays projects.......

glhcarl

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
I also used rattle can paint when I cleaned up the engine compartment on my Barracuda. I got the paint from Paint Scratch, it wasn't a perfect match but was very close.
And by using a "rattle can" you can get those fractory runs in the paint. :acme:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure we can't make even a little chebbie engine bay wisecrack...? :lol:

JK

Looks good. :thumbsup:

ACME

Back