• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Paint

Collin

Reaction score
What brand engine paint did you fellas use? I painted my valve covers with a dupont spray can, says it will coat in 3 coats. Took me about 6 to get decent adhesion and color. Just wanted to know what else is out there, looking for something that is high quality, preferably in a spray can...but if I have to I can use the spray guns and compressor

moparchris

Reaction score
I have used platicote and follow it up with Mopar Performance for the correct color. I dont do correct restos so my opinion doesn't hold much water, other than the paint lasts without discoloring for a long time.

dobie

Reaction score
I used Mopar Performance spray can. The motor was painted 2 years ago and no complaints yet.

droptop

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Totally auto :cents:

They buy it from Plasti-Kote and put their label on it. I know because we sell both companies their caps. :yesnod: The color has been spot on every time for me.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
droptop said:
69hemibeep said:
Totally auto :cents:

They buy it from Plasti-Kote and put their label on it. I know because we sell both companies their caps. :yesnod: The color has been spot on every time for me.
I don't know, they may use the same can and cap but the nozzle is different, the paint smells different and Plasti-Kote doesn't offer high impact colors or some of the other paints they have. :popcorn:

John69RR

Reaction score
I used Dupli-Color this time. I seem to be having adhesion issues though. The block was hot tanked then wiped down with Wax & Greaser remover using a SS brush but a few areas are lifting. I've read other posts that say a primer is not needed. Do I need to strip the block and primer it now?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
John69RR said:
I used Dupli-Color this time. I seem to be having adhesion issues though. The block was hot tanked then wiped down with Wax & Greaser remover using a SS brush but a few areas are lifting. I've read other posts that say a primer is not needed. Do I need to strip the block and primer it now?
I wash mine down with mineral spirits then water :cents:

John69RR

Reaction score
I thought about that or using Paint thinner but the guy who painted my engine bay suggested the W&G remover. He told me it would work better. After all, it worked great on the car. What about the primer? Should you use primer on the block?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
John69RR said:
I thought about that or using Paint thinner but the guy who painted my engine bay suggested the W&G remover. He told me it would work better. After all, it worked great on the car. What about the primer? Should you use primer on the block?
I never have primed and Ive done 20 or more engines over the years and never had paint come off regardless of paint brand. Some machine shops will redo heads and hit them with cast paint and I strip that with brake clean.

John69RR

Reaction score
Looks good Gary. Maybe I'll just "pick" at the spot and repaint and see what happens.

Collin

Reaction score
Hey.
I went with the Mopar Performance engine enamel. Stuff looks fantastic and coats even better. The only problem I have found with the stuff is that it aeresolizes (spelling??) like crazy and goes EVERYWHERE. I sprayed paint on the water pump housing, lower bell housing, and the bell housing itself. I would recommend wearing a mask as well because as cool as it is right now to have Hemi orange boogers, I'm sure its not too healthy.

droptop

Reaction score
Plasti-Kote has been bought out by Valspar, and they reformulated (cost savings) their engine paints. There is not as many solids, so it does not coat as well and it tends to run a lot easier. The new stuff has both Plasti-Kote and Valspar on the label. Avoid it if possible, you will not like it.

Back