• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Pull

zupanj

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am finally getting around to pulling the 383 out of my RR and I've run into a problem. I got the passenger side header out with no trouble but I'm having a hell of a time getting the driver side out. I thought the starter might be in the way so I took it off but I can't quite work it out of the car. It also looks like the Z-bar is in the way but I can't get it off. The pivot ball that screws into the bellhousing will only come out so far and then I can't get it to unscrew any more. Also it's hard to get a purchase on the darn thing as I can only turn it 1/16 at a time with channel locks. Finally I thought that if I dropped the tie-rods that would do it but I can't get those off with the stuff I have at home and I would hate to drop them unless you guys say I have to since it's all new. The headers are Hookers and seem to fit reasonably well.

I am frustrated right now and becoming intimidated. I have pulled a few engines in my time but for some reason this one just seems to be hard.

Thanks for you input.

Jack

droptop

Reaction score
Unbolt the header from the engine, and pull the engine out with the header still in the car.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Yep, leave the header in the car.

If you're careful, you can reverse it too, putting the header(s) in place as you put the engine in. I've done it that way a couple times.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a 4 gear car. The Z bar wil come right ouyt if you loosen the ball stud on the FRAME side. It just lays over a little spot on the frame and is pinched by the stud/threads. You may need to pull off the rubberish cover behind the wheel to access that deal.

Leave the header laying loose, maybe tie it off with a bungie or rope or???

No need to take sterring stuff out unless it passes through a high dollar oil pan rig.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Back in November, I just let my headers hang loose in the engine bay and pulled the engine out without em.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
teah, what they said. no need to mess with the steering stuff.

Back