• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Removal

Jeff 69

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1969 Road Runner and I spun a crank bearing .I think. My oil is black and I do have shavings in the oil. Any way I'm looking for the best way to take out my engine and transmission at the same time. Any help would be aprecited.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Unbolt the hood, marking where the bolt were with a sharpie before you do. That will help you get the alignment right when you put it back on.

Remove the radiator, alternator and steering pump. I like to take the water pump off too.

Unbolt the exhaust manifolds from the pipes. Take the carb off (keeps from breaking it). Slide under the car and remove the driveshaft. If it's a stick, remove the clutch linkage. Remove any other trans linkage, speedo cable and wiring. Put a jack under the trans and remove the mount.

Attach the chain sling, remove the motor mount bolts and you're set.

csuk9

Reaction score
I like to outline the whole bracket before removing the hood. Just putting marks on the hood and bolts always seem to mess up for me. Wrong bolt to wrong hole. Just my $.02

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
having recently done one of each, I think I would leave the automatic in the car use a tow strap across the torsion bars to hold it in place and block it up, if it's a 4-speed take the 4-speed off but you will have to tilt the motor and trans to reach the top right 4-speed bolt. also remove the grill and grille support, bumper and filler piece (valence?) you can get in closer with the picker and less stretching while working on it, well worth the work. it's all easier said than done so good luck to you.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
"the easiest way"
have somebody else do it..... :jester:
what the guys all said above.

Jeff 69

Reaction score
I just want to say Thank You all for the info that you gave to me. It does really help...

Jeff 69. :party:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I've seen on some of the shows on TV where they drill a hole through the mount into the hood, then when they reassemble it they use that drill in that hole it line it back up. Is that a good or bad idea to use. I was thinking of doing it that way when I swap the engines in my '64 Barracuda.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've seen that Steve, I think it would be OK, just use a small drill, 1/8" or smaller.

Reaction score
I have used all of these methods for removing/marking the hood hinge locations.

When we pulled the 440/833 out the 69 RR we used our over head hoist.69RR15.jpg

69RR15.jpg

Back