• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine temp

rapid67rt

Reaction score
My stock 383 runs 195. Is this to hot? I'm running a 195 thermostat,26" 2 core aftermarket radiator, aftermarket fan/spacer. I want to run a stock clutch fan but it hits the radiator bottom lip, no shroud.
-Would a lower thermostat help? 160 or 180?
-It never went over 200 but yesterday was in the 60's.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Its a little on the warm side but not hot, with a 195 stat its going to stay there. A 180 is the most common.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
I run a 180° and just started using the additive that lowers the temp some and it seems to work stay just under 180 now has gotten up to 220° in stop and go traffic. that sucked but she didn't die on me so all good :)

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If you guys ever drove an RV in the desert pulling a loaded trailer you know what hot is. When I top a 1000-1500Ft hill and I'm only at 210 I'm feeling good. There are a couple of hills between Phoenix and Flagstaff that are over 2000ft climbs and at 235 I start getting a little excited. Your talking over 100 degrees outside and they cool down at the top with a little cruise time. New cars are designed to run at 210 for emissions reasons. The old cars like a lower temp do to carburetors and that's the difference.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
it was recommended by the six pack crowd to run a 195 thermostat. this is supposed to help keep the fuel in vapor form instead of pooling in the manifold. i would have to figure it would be the same for any other engine running a carb.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mac said:
it was recommended by the six pack crowd to run a 195 thermostat. this is supposed to help keep the fuel in vapor form instead of pooling in the manifold. i would have to figure it would be the same for any other engine running a carb.
I can understand that, but if your temp is going to rise considerably at a long traffic light do to high ambient temp I say a 180 stat, but its all in your local climate just like oil weight.

dobie

Reaction score
Im running a160* thermostat in my 383. It was running right there for a year or so. Once I warmed over the motor its up to about 180* now.

rapid67rt

Reaction score
Well my concern is that when its in the upper 80's in the summer its gonna be over 200. I hate the thought of pulling the stat out again because its not leaking lol. Thanks for your help.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Its a little on the warm side but not hot, with a 195 stat its going to stay there. A 180 is the most common.

that's what l'm uslng. stays under 200 easily. the only overheatlng trouble l had wlth lt was at the Heath Crulse. pretty much stop no go trafflc. got over 220 and ran pretty crappy.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i guess my point is the thermostsat regulates the temp up to the rating of the thermostat. temps will always rise above depending on the ability of the cooling system to dissapate the heat to the surrounding air. if the stat is rated 160, 180, 195 has no bearing on that.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mac said:
i guess my point is the thermostsat regulates the temp up to the rating of the thermostat. temps will always rise above depending on the ability of the cooling system to dissapate the heat to the surrounding air. if the stat is rated 160, 180, 195 has no bearing on that.
I think we are on the same page, they don't limit upward temp they set a base temp. Down here I like a 180 it allows a little more room before you stress the engine.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
mac said:

What he said.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
mac said:

What he said.
Your like my wife, always got to get the last word in :lol:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Big John said:
mac said:

What he said.
Your like my wife, always got to get the last word in :lol:

And your point is?

rapid67rt

Reaction score
Swapped to the 180 thermostat. I had it out today and it never got over 180 even at lights. The outdoor temps were only in the upper 50's though. I think its gonna workout. Thanks for all you help! Oh...no leaks so far.

Back