• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine with 4-speed install

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a different motor ready to go in my GTX. the last time I did this was in the mid-eighties with a chain hoist in my Dad's garage and I was able to install the engine and trans as one assembly. I don't remember but I think I also had to jack the front of the car up in the air at the same time but not sure.

Long story short I would like to do the same thing but now I only have a cherry picker to work with, it is a Larin EH2FB it looks like a run of the mill picker. Has anyone done and installation with the engine and trans together this way before or will it not work?
I pulled the trans down off the bellhousing before the removal of motor and reinstalling like that does not seem very easy to me.

if I have to put the trans in separately from the bottom An idea I had is to make some 7/16-14 threaded rod for the lower trans bolt holes in the bellhousing to help rest and locate the trans on with the motor in a tilted position.

if I can go the cherry picker route I have the water pump off and I can put a 2.2 oil filter on it to pick up some room up front.

any tips or ideas appreciated I need to have it in by Friday because the picker is borrowed and I think I'm ready to go - Thanks

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i did mine with tranny and all......do you have a engine equalizer.......this makes it easy to tip the motor when you get it in there......yes i did jack up the car for clearance of the tranny

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
next dumb question where do you guys normally bolt that to on the motor? I usually go across diagonally from the lt front cyl head to the rt rear with a chain bolted using 3/8 bolts. This equalizer thing looks like it should be bolted in along the centerline of the motor. I don't have one of those mounts where you can lift off the carb mounting as that always look kind of freaky to me, or is that what I should be doing?
I for sure am going to get an equalizer today and I had never even heard of one until now - Thanks

droptop

Reaction score
Mine has 4 mounting chains. I put one on each coroner of the intake bolts. Never had an issue.

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Yep, those equalizers are the real deal. I installed a 289/C4 in the 67 Mustang I did for my wife, by myself, in less than an hour. Can't wait to used it again on my 68 383HP/4SP RR!! Figure I might have to remove the radiator support first, but no big deal. :beep: :beep: :beep:

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
if only the radiator support bolted in that would be very nice way to go. Anyways engine and trans are in and bolted up, thank heavens I'm glad that's over, thanks for the advice the equalizer worked super well.

Back