• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever seen a 383 6bbl?

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I've gone through several catalogs looking for a light weight intake manifold to replace the heavy iron one and I have run across advertisements for 6 pack set ups for 383s. Is this something folks actually do? I've never seen this in person before. The only Chrysler engines I've heard of with six pack set ups are 340s and 440s. I don't plan on using this since I already have a carb ready to go, but I am just curious if any of you have seen such a thing.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I have seen a couple of those manifolds at swap meets. They usually are pretty cheap and no one wants them.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
If I remember correctly, I think Dobie has this setup on his car.

not yet anyhow. just has the big air cleaner.
I've seen kits to put a 6 bbl on everything from a 318 to a 440.
just out of curiosity, why doesn't anyone want the mainifolds Big?
If all the planets were inline, I wouldn't mind doing a six barrel on my 383.But that's just a pipe dream.

"Dear Santa"

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I ran a 6 pack for awhile, just seemd to fickle to run. I never got the entire fuel curve exactly where I wanted it. It looked cool,but I'm not spending that much time fooling with it. A 4 barrel or EFI is way better IMO.

Big John

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
Hoosier Bird said:
If I remember correctly, I think Dobie has this setup on his car.

not yet anyhow. just has the big air cleaner.
I've seen kits to put a 6 bbl on everything from a 318 to a 440.
just out of curiosity, why doesn't anyone want the mainifolds Big?
If all the planets were inline, I wouldn't mind doing a six barrel on my 383.But that's just a pipe dream.

"Dear Santa"

I dunno why no one wants them... I saw one that made the rounds of different shows... then went to another vendor and he drug it around for a while... Who knows?

One summer I had a half dozen people ask if I knew where they could get a 340 six pack manifold. So.. I was out of town and stumbled across one at a swap meet. I think it was $75 or something like that. I figured I'd make a quick buck on it. No one wanted it... even for what I paid for it! It was brand new and real nice. I had that thing for two or three years and then I swapped it for something.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well, jst going along with the dream, is a 6 barrel something I would want for a car I drive dailey in the summer? Or would I be better off sticking with my 4?

roadrunner69

Reaction score
Back in the mid 70's my friend and I ran 440 6bbl as daily drivers.
I ran a 69 manifold then swapped to a STR. Never had problems.
They only run of the center carb. Also we ran the 3 500 2bbls.
Trust me when you put your foot in it, the gas gauge moves
quicker then the eye.

Big John

Reaction score
The 6 barrel is a nice setup when its done right. You cruise around on the center two barrel and when you stand on it the outer carbs dump all the fuel and gas your car would ever want.

That said... it has to be right. I've tried a 440 6 barrel setup in a big car with 3.23 gears and it never did a lot for me. It ran OK, but it was faster with an AVS. The car was great around town, but kind of a dog if it didn't downshift when you hit it. A friend had one in a Satellite wagon with 3.55 gears and that was better.

IMHO, you have to have a fairly steep gear to make it all work right.

How it would work on a 383?? I dunno... never knew anybody with one. It would probably be OK.

John69RR

Reaction score
I have one on mine. Granted it is a 400 stroked out to a 452. The 361, 383 & 400 share the same intake manifolds Picked up the manifold with carbs at the Nats in '96 for $350.00. A good friend of mine helped me with the set-up. He's been running 6bbls for a long time. No issues with mine.

dobie

Reaction score
Basket is right, as I don't have a 6bbl set up. I just have a 4bbl 650DP on mine, with the large air cleaner. If I had the parts, I'd probably put one on, although I doubt it's something I'd spend money on.

Now, a 6bbl set up on a 440 is another matter, although I'll never afford that.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I've seen many 383-6 setups at car shows. I even saw a custom '70 "road runner" station wagon (a Satellite wagon converted to look like a road runner) in B5 Blue sporting a 383
6-BBL, four speed and Pistol Grip shifter. It was very well done.
The kits are available for about $2300 and include everything needed for the conversion including air cleaner assembly, linkages, etc. If my car had a 3 speed wiper (and if I wasn't too lazy to convert from my 2 speed to a 3 speed wiper setup) I'd love to put one on the car (the 2 speed wiper motor sticks out from the firewall and causes air cleaner conflicts while the 3 speed wiper motor lays against the firewall. All 69 6-BBL cars had 3 speed wipers). I've definitely got the engine for it and the 3.55 gears would be good enough to handle it.
While the Performer RPM and 750/850 Holleys I have are comparable in power output nothing looks as impressive under the hood as a nice 6-BBL setup.

dobie

Reaction score
In all honesty, converting the wiper motors is quite simple. I swapped mine out just a few months ago. If I can do it, it's easy enough for a kid to do it.

:jester:

martin69rr

Reaction score
Reading this I have just realised another problem I have. I have been restoring an N96 air grabber that I intended to fit to my car but I have a 2 speed (which I have just restored) and will have to fit the 3 speed if I want to fit the air cleaner. Nothing is ever simple :brickwall:

Back