• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

exhaust manifold repair

bschomske

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there in mopar land has heard of fixing a crack in the exhaust manifold.I hear that cast is tricky..Mine has a crack in the passengers side,sounds like do sh-t......Stuck buy a different one or headers.I tryed to keep the car stock...

droptop

Reaction score
I would not try to fix, as they are readily available. Sometimes you can find one that someone had the same issue as you, just on the other side. I think that I have an odd driver side manifold....somewhere. LOL.

Just another thought.....are you sure it is not the heat riser? These have been known to leak, and make your car sound like a John Deer tractor.

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Can you see a crack or did a gasket blow? Cast can be welded but there are so many of those around replace it if it's cracked.

bschomske

Reaction score
Yea I will have to replace it.There was no heat riser on this manifold,I bought it off e_bay 10 Years ago. It just not the best sounding right now...

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hello bschomske I have welded some manifold's where is she broken. If you know someone who has a tig welder it work's good I have used stick welding on some of mine used 6011 rod but it must be hot and as it cool's you must lightly tap the welded area till it cool's off. I had a good teacher cast is porosity and the weld has to settle in the holes while cooling. I watched Mr. Tig on U Tube he used an Tig machine to weld a manifold. If you have a problem maybe these folk's can help you in Alabama Jackie is Grate they have a lot of part's Ph 1 256 247 1333. Well hope that this is of some help. Got to run hope you get her fixed.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I wouldn't weld it either.

But, as said, find the leak first. Some people put gaskets between the heads and the manifolds and when they blow out, it gets noisy.

bschomske

Reaction score
while having work done on the manifolds at my buddys shop a peace of the manifold cracked off.The peace fit in place like a puzzle peace so he welded back on,with a regular welder...Didn't work..So I guess its off to get a different manifold....Anyone out there have a passengers side manifold they want to let go....

tom99

Reaction score
If you haven't found the exhaust manifold you were looking for, I have a pair that I would sell.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Cast iron should be pre heated and welded with nickel content rod and cooled slowly

Coyote

Reaction score
I’ve seen it done with “ni-rod”. I have never tried to weld cast. We have great commercial places locally that preheat in an oven first and even do engine blocks. I’d not want to try it as decent used stuff is available.

Good luck!:thumbsup::beep:

JULY2849

Reaction score
I've had good luck w/ welding cast iron with nickel steel rod-did not find it difficult to accomplish with a regular buzz box

Back